Removable Magnet on old CTS 15" speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeLurker, Dec 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JoeLurker

JoeLurker Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Brooklyn,NY
    Hi, I have a pair speakers like the one pictured (not mine was too lazy to take a pic when i could already find one online ;) ). Anyway they both have open coils. Does anyone know if I can get the magnet off by removing that center phillips head screw? I already tried and it sure is in there tight. So i figured before I make a total mess of things I would ask around. Thanks! pvebwfdxjoxopo599vl7.jpg

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Nice 68 speaker.

I've never tried removing the magnet. You could try a vice grip wrench clamped to the screwdriver handle. This provides more torque. Without the right screw driver, you can strip the head or risk snapping it off if too much torque is applied.

Not something that I wold recommend in this case. Removing the magnet could affect the alignment in the space where the coil resides. This will make it difficult if you get a recone done. Sometimes the problem is a bad solder joint at the terminals. You can try resoldering and see if it helps. Otherwise, find a good reconer in your area.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Never ever take the magnet off a driver. There is simply no reason to do so. If you want to have the drivers re-coned take the driver to a good re-cone company.

Peavey did have a range of MI drivers that you could repair by removing the magnet from a blown driver and install it on a replacement basket assembly. This is the only example of this kind of repair that I am aware of.

AstroSonic likes this.