1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

removing triangle markers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cheapimitation, Mar 16, 2008.

1. cheapimitation

cheapimitation

Mar 23, 2007
    I have a bass that I have removed the frets from, and am in the process of surfacing the fingerboard... it has MOP triangle-shaped position markers, and I'd like to remove them. Any tips? I've tried a razor blade, heat, and I've already sanded the board quite a bit... how thick might these things be?

2. 202dy

202dy

Sep 26, 2006
    Typically they are .040"-.050" thick. MOP is brittle. A sharp blow with a hammer and a pin punch or nail set will shatter the pearl. The pieces can be pried out of the recess with an Exacto knife, a stiff palette knife, or similar tool.

How do you intend to fill the resulting cavity? It is a lot of material to remove. Unless the fingerboard is very thick there is a risk of compromising the stiffness of the neck.

If you decide to bring the surface down, you will be better served if you rough it in with edge tools first.

3. cheapimitation

cheapimitation

Mar 23, 2007
    Thanks for the reply -- I'll try that. I had filled the fret slots with a mixture of CA glue and ebony dust; I would plan to do the same with the position marker holes, but I'll see what happens when I can get the MOP out.