Repairing Gibson super humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zatan130, Apr 23, 2020.

1. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    I recently bought a Ripper that the seller wasn't completely sure about. I don't know much about pickups, but these pups do not sound like any Ripper I've ever played; they're extremely noisy and yet somehow very subdued. Since it's not a cheap bass, he is willing to give me a partial refund to fix the pickups. The problem is I can't find any store near me (Minneapolis) with experience with Bill Lawrence and a couple said they don't even want to touch them.

Does anyone know where I can go and have any idea how much it will cost? The seller is just going to give me $250 if I don't know what I need.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I agree, Lindy Frailin was my first thought cause I know vintage pickup repair is something he does, he's really good, and a heck of a nice guy. The suggestions above are good too. Point is you need more than your average tech. The end result will be worth it.

ctmullins likes this.
  4. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    I have filled out contact forms for your suggestions to see what they reply with. The replacement Seymour Duncans are $160 each. Do you think rewindings/repairs will cost a similar amount?

5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Repair is typically less expensive, but you've got a more unique pickup so not sure if that will be the case here.

ctmullins likes this.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Yep, those are rather rare and unique pickups.

The other approach would be to drop something completely different into the bass, like a pair of Bill's L-90 !!

7. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    Should I ask for more than $250 back from the seller?

8. TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Aug 4, 2009
    Its not likely it would be that expensive. If Duncan sells a repro for $160 that's probably the top end from them unless you want to get into more esoteric repair options. A rewind is essentially building from scratch using the old parts.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021