Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

repairmen -- Houston, TX

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mandocaster, Dec 24, 2004.

1. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Hello, this is my first visit and post!

I have a ca. 1900 German 3/4 bass that is cracking on the top and ribs. It gets worse everytime I look at it.

I know I have to bite the bullet and get it fixed, but sheesh... I am probably looking at a small fortune to get the top pulled and the cracks fixed.

Anyone have any suggestions for repair people in the Houston area? Any other wild ideas? Fixaflat? Nail polish? hammer and nails? Bondo?

2. If no one from the area chimes in about this you might check out Bob Gollihur's site. He has a pretty extensive luthier list that, if I remember correctly, is organized by state.

3. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    Jim Scoggan from Houston Stringworks was at the Texas Bass Symposium in November. Seemed very nice talking with him. He brought some interesting basses to the symposium.

713-462-5725
    8600 Jameel, Suite 100
    Houston, TX 77040
    (Hyw 290 @ Fairbanks N. Houston)

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    You could try Mike Hartery: mhartery@aol.com He fixes basses for the college where he is a grad student. Should be fine for basic work.

5. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks

I'll try your suggestion.

I have used James before, but I lost track of his where abouts

6. basswraith

basswraith

Mar 10, 2003
    Boston
    Thanx for the referral Arnold.
    I have my own operation going here at the University of north Texas here in Denton. Im not sure how long a trip from Houston would be but we could get in touch if you want. mhartery@aol.com. Good luck.
    Any pics or your crack?..the bass I mean. :meh: