1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replaced stripped truss rod nut, need a washer or two

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PJFlatts, Sep 9, 2018.

1. PJFlatts

PJFlatts

Sep 4, 2014
    Nevada
    I need a couple of washers to get a bit more turn from a truss rod, and could use some help finding a source.

The stripped nut came off a Squier Dimension V bass. The replacement nut came off used Squier neck. Truss rod nut is 8 mm in diameter; center threaded hole that threads onto the truss rod is 4.1 mm in diameter.

The bore in the headstock that the truss rod nut fits into is 9 mm (more or less) in diameter.

So I'm looking for washers that fit a Squier bass, between 8 - 9 mm in diameter with a center hole (to fit over the threaded truss rod shaft) about 4.2 mm in diameter.

Closest I have found is a Fender product (brass washer, part number 0022335049) that I would need to file down a bit to get it to fit in the bore.

Any help in finding a washer that fits (without modification) would be appreciated. Cheers

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    PJFlatts and mech like this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You can put 10-15 on a nut and bolt, chuck the bolt up in a drill and file them down fairly quick. I imagine you could find a market for them.

PJFlatts and HaMMerHeD like this.
  4. PJFlatts

PJFlatts

Sep 4, 2014
    Nevada
    Thank you Hammerhed for the source info. I had not thought of using my drill press to file the washers to a smaller diameter - great idea, thanks sissy kathy.

And thanks to the moderator (?) who moved this to the correct forum. Cheers

5. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I usually ask the drum guy at the music sore for some lug washers. They fit most truss rods.

PJFlatts likes this.
  6. PJFlatts

PJFlatts

Sep 4, 2014
    Nevada
    Thanks Paulabass. But nearest Fastenal is 80 miles (oneway); probably same for a music store, but might have to go a bit father to bigger town for a music store with any inventory.