Replacement necks in japan impossible to find?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jimmy Aloha, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Does anyone know why replacement necks and bodies are so hard to find in japan? I was was trying to find a jazz neck with rosewood fretboard here....and really having a hard time find anything. From my research , it seems japan is not a do it your self place for instruments vs the states. Anyone have an answer or theory? Thanks

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I think it has a lot to do with the trade and commercial culture over there. They have blacksmiths, potters, weavers, and many other tradesman (tradespeople) that are considered national treasures; including a few stringed instrument makers. They also have a rather unique commercial trading system there that has extra layers in the supply chain. They will only very reluctantly go outside that chain. Those two combinations make artistic parts and endeavors highly problematic, especially for casual DIY repair. If you were a serious builder you would be carving your own necks, and if you aren't then it goes to a repairman. This is all tied into the Shinto philosophy towards objects in general.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :cigar:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Jimmy Aloha likes this.
  3. That’s an interesting thought. I think there is some merit in what you are saying. Yeah....even basic replacement parts are tough to find here. I had to special order neck screws for my jazz. Could not find them Locally anywhere

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021