Replacement PUP for Sting Pbass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rayzorx, Feb 16, 2005.

1. OK, I went through all the archives and I've got some good info on what's out there. My question is: Do the replacement pup's help reduce the inherent hum of the single coil pup? I know by design it's gonna be noisy, but I was just wondering.

BTW, I use Rotosound Rotobass Nickel wound strings and run through an SWR Workingmans 12 for recording and practice. I love the "piano" tones of the Rotosounds but I'd like to get more bottom. Any recommendations on which pup would give me this?
  2. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I installed a 51 P Basslines pickup in my Sting bass, sounds quite good. I don't recall any noticable hiss or hum. I haven't ever recorded (ie: headphones) with this bass though, so I can't be sure that it's clean.
  3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I thought the original pickup sounded a bit too thin for my taste. I settled on a Duncan Quarter Pounder. Much better bottom end. If you're looking for that I recommend one of these. (I also tried a Duncan Hot - too much mids, very grindy.) I don't really notice much hum but that's an inherant trait of single coils. If you get some try moving around. I understand that the Duncan Custom Shop makes a humcancelling version but it's special order and pretty pricey.
  4. Thanks for the feedback guys. One question: How much do the aftermarket Pup's change the sound characteristics from the original. I like the sound that Sting got from his 53, although I'll admit it does sound a bit thin. I don't know what kind of work he may have had done to it either. The Duncan Qp sounds like a good try. Any suggestions on where to get one?
  5. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
  6. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
  7. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    looks that way according to the site about his gear...
  8. OK so now I'm confused. In the musicplayer article, Danny Q states that Stings basses are a 55 and a 57 Pbase. So how come the Fender Sting RI that I have is billed as a 53? Has someone got the dates wrong?
    What's even funnier is I just did a Google on Fender+Sting and found one site selling it as a 51 (really wrong) and another as a 54. ;-)

BTW, thanks for the info. You guys rock!