Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing ampeg speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim primate, Jan 15, 2005.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i blew a couple tens in my ampeg 4x10's and am looking for a good replacement. i'm just gonna replace all of them. lemme know what's up.

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

please lemme know what's up? anyone?

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well you should probably use the same speakers that are in the cabinet as the cabinet (ideally) was designed to accomodate those drivers. (not all tens are equal.) getting the speakers reconed might also be cheaper.
    if you tell exactly what ampeg cabinet it is some of the players on here might know what drivers other than the oem speakers would also work.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    WHICH Ampeg 410 is it???

5. One possibility is to have them re-coned by a good speaker repair place - abrown.com will take shipped speakers. They can use the manufacturer's parts, or their own (sometimes better) parts.

I worked there for a year, and in that time I worked on speakers for Metallica, ZZ-Top, Santana and many others. They are well respected.

My 10" speakers went out while I was working there and I ended up with prototypes of their 10" bass hemp-cone speakers, which have shown no signs of damage after five years of almost daily use. Look for them under "Tone Tubby".

Ken