Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing broken volume sliders (not just knobs) on Peavey mixer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, May 7, 2004.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have a Peavey Unity 1000 that has 3 broken volume knobs (not just the slider caps - the entire slider is broken all the way down so it is not adjustable at all).

I'm trying to think of a cheap way to fix this, but I'm wondering if there are slider replacements available that are universal and easy to install.

2. There are no quick fixes, you'll need to replace the entire fader pack! Super glue is not something you want inside the mixer either!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Treena - yeah, I edited that right before you replied. That (superglue comment) was meant in jest, though it probably didn't come across that way.

4. You'll have to replace the entire slider potentiometer, but they are not terribly expensive, write/email Peavey and they'll give you prices, probably less than $10 each. I accidentally broke one on my mixer and since I had a gig that nite, I just bought one from the local Peavey repair man for about $15.

The tough part is taking the mixer apart (lots of knobs to pull off and keep track of) Make a sketch listing what color went where.

Desolder the old slide pots using desoldering braid, then solder the new ones in, then put 'er back together, good luck.

5. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Thanks nashville and Treena!

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Hey, I wrote to Peavey to gat a replacement fader for my Mark III. They sent me a package of about 5 free of charge! How about that for customer service?

7. Peavey did the same thing when I needed a couple of knobs for a Databss combo I had bought used. They sent two knobs out right away, free of charge! So do I recommend Peavey? Heck yeah!!!