1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

replacing onboard preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HYBRID APERION, Mar 18, 2013.

1. HYBRID APERION

HYBRID APERION

Feb 6, 2008
    I have an inexpensive Yamaha 5 string bass,RBX375..(that's where i'm at for now)and I was wondering IF anyone has replaced the onboard preamp in the same bass,and with what?I've noticed there is a separate battery box(9 volt) But the control cavity seems on the small side.I want to go with an Aguilar obp-3..I'm wondering if theres enough room for that...Help Please...and Thank You..!

2. From the Aguilar site: Dimensions: 0.98"W x 0.98"L x 0.59"D

Break out a ruler.

3. HYBRID APERION

HYBRID APERION

Feb 6, 2008
    The aguilar OBP-3 install was completed today,and the results are amazing!!...I am so glad I chose to make the switch.There was a 2 band(Yamaha) preamp in the bass.There was room for the prewired Aguilar kit in the control cavity.I kept the bass wired at 9 volts and even with the E.Q. set at flat with zero boost the volume/power is staggering to me!I now have several different options for tone!As soon as I'm able I will replace the pre in the other Yamaha bass as well...I was concerned that the pickups wouldn't be compatible with the Aguilar pre but I was wrong.Its a huge improvement!

4. HYBRID APERION

HYBRID APERION

Feb 6, 2008
    I have on the way from BBG.COM the second Aguilar 0bp-3 to be installed in bass # 2..and I can't wait for this to be completed.I will post the results after install is through!

5. HYBRID APERION

HYBRID APERION

Feb 6, 2008
    The second Aguilar obp-3 preamp install on the Yamaha RBX 375 bass is complete with as usual great results! I am still glad I did this upgrade to the basses.Everyone compliments the fullness of tone now.If anyone requires any help or advice with this type of conversion to your similar bass,I will answer to the best of my knowledge!

6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Congratulations! It doesn't surprise me, given that the RBX line is built to a price point. It's a shame, really, that manufacturers choose to cut corners on factory preamps. But it makes upgrades such as yours very rewarding!

7. Someone tried a EMG BQC control on the Yamaha RBX 375?