Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing strings...could use some recommendations.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by NoX, Oct 22, 2004.

1. NoX

NoX

Oct 19, 2004
    Hey everyone

I know this question has been asked before, but I shall tailor it to my special needs...

My current set of strings i have been told are thomasik spirocores, i'm not entirely sure what kind however...they have blue and gold winding at the bottoms, if that helps at all. These strings are alright, and have worked out for me for about three years...but i fear they're starting to go bad, my D string has a heck of a time staying on pitch.

I'm looking for a set of strings thats going to sound good for both solo playing and group playing. I'll be needing to have good solo sound for auditions to local youth orchestras, as well as good orchestra sound for the group i'm currently in.

I guess my main question would be...what type of thomasik spirocores do i have now? And if i should change, what would you recommend? A link to an online shop would be nice, the local music store is quite overpriced, thus I need to find somewhere else for my strings.

My bass is a $1800 chinese plywood bass. It sounds lovely.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    By your description I would say that you have D'Addario Orchestral strings. Spirocores are just red. If you are playing mainly with the bow I would recommend a set of Pirastro Flexocores. They are meant for arco.

3. NoX

NoX

Oct 19, 2004
    I'll look into those. Hopefully I can get a new set next week...i'm also considering getting my bow rehaired...anyone have thoughts on the type of hair that would be suited best for classical playing?

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That all depends on what you want. I think you get a little mellower sound with white hair. The black hair seems to grab the strings easier though. If you end up getting the Flexocores, either will work since they are orchestral strings and are easy to play arco.

5. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Gotta talk these strings up!

I REALLY like the Corelli 380 TX.

Great bowed sound, fine sustain on pizz and soft on the fingers.

I've been through Obligatos, Helicores, Spirocore and Jargars to name a few.

I'm sticking with these...... at least for a while!

Touch