1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iandi.bass, Oct 30, 2010.

1. iandi.bass

iandi.bass

May 20, 2009
    If replacing tubes on an Ampeg CL, would you recommend purchasing a set of tubes and replacing them or taking the amp and tubes to a technician and have them do it?

Your thoughts?

2. If you need to ask this question, you'll better of leaving the job to a technician.

3. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Depends which tubes.

For power tubes you need to have a technician adjust the biais of the amp.

For pre-amp tubes you can change them yourself, there is no biais.

Hope this helps.

4. Yep- changing the power tubes- BUY a MATCHED set yourself- either tubedepot.com or eurotubes.com will have sets matched pretty much especially for the SVT-CL.
    Then get a tech to install & bias 'em properly
    - That way U KNOW U get a good deal on the tubes - cuts out ONE middle man

5. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Chances are the tech gets from from a supplier, not a retailer, for significantly cheaper.

6. Hi.

Yet another vote for tech time.

Replacing the tubes ain't hard. Neither is biasing them. If there's no problems that is.

A tech can do a check up and replace any soon-to-fail components while he's at it as well.

Regards
    Sam

7. I warranty parts I supply and install. I do not warranty parts you bring me. Just went thru this issue with a customer who supplied his own parts and then bitched when it did not turn out the way he thought.

8. Replacing a set of output tubes and setting the bias appropriately is not that difficult a task for an experienced person. It's the danger of working on a live chassis to set the bias that the tech gets paid for. There is also the chance that while he is in there that he identifies something that needs attention. If something goes wrong with the install you can blow a set of tubes very quickly. A tech would know what to do in the case of a problem.

If you brought me a set of tubes, I would not use them and neither would I touch your amp. By inference you are saying that I would rip you off on the costs of the tubes. Yes a tech will make a profit from the tubes but that is only part of the total costs you would pay. There are tubes that I will use and there are tubes that I will not. Tubes that I have found are long lasting and some that fail on the first power up.

These points have be raised earlier but needed to be fleshed out more.

Tech Time!

9. Amen Paul!