1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replating Chrome Hardware Black

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ElMartillo, Dec 1, 2018.

1. ElMartillo

ElMartillo

Nov 23, 2018
    Brand new 4003 with factory chrome hardware, looking to have this hardware stripped and replated. If I could just buy it all in a black finish I would, but searches for such have returned no results.

I’m not looking for “black chrome” or painted/powdercoated finish, but a plated, durable, black finish.

Any known platers out there with experience in this area?

Thanks.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You are wanting a powder coat done. Search "powder coating" in your area. I'm not sure if the chrome has to be stripped first or not. Discuss your needs with the company that will be powder coating your hardware.
    Bridge and Tuners are available from Hipshot. Pickup bezels are readily availabe, leaving you only the bridge pick up cover to have powder coated.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I think if the parts are not stripped first then a real potential for interference of engagement exists because of the increase in thickness.

4. ElMartillo

ElMartillo

Nov 23, 2018
    Thanks for the response but if you actually read my post you will see I don’t want powdercoat. If you think about it, tuning key mechanisms wouldn’t work very well powdercoated.

So again, I’m not interested in “black chrome”, paint or powdercoat as stated in my original post.

I would like to hear from someone with experience in replating chrome hardware in a durable, black, plated finish.

Thanks!

5. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Plated finishes are metal. I don't think there is any black metal used in plating. Your options are paint or powder coat.

As pointed out above, black replacements are available for the tuners.

6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I don’t think powder coating is a good idea on things like tuners. Chrome is much harder and thinner - powder coating the gears on your tuners probably won’t hold dimensional tolerances wll enough for them to mesh.

Black nickel ir black chrome plating us much more likely to work well. If your tuners are aluminum, black anodizing would probably be your best bet.

7. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The only other process I'm aware of is Parkerizing, used on many modern weapons. Go to your local gun shop, talk to them.

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ceramic coating perhaps? You might want to consider Cerakote. There are several competing products but Cerakote is pretty much the standard by which all others are judged
    It’s used on all manner of moving parts with no problems but is also used as a durable cosmetic treatment. It tends to be thicker than chrome but talk to someone who does it to get a better feel for what your limitations may be.

Home

Here’s another ceramic coating primarialy for heat resistance but also used for a durable cosmetic finish. Back in another life i’ve had headers and pipes done with Jet Hot and found it to be very durable. Again i’m not sure of thickness so talk to the people who do it for the straight dope on limitations.

Jet-Hot

The major advantage to something like this over buying parts from different vendors is if you coat/plate you get a uniform color and gloss on all your parts and if you want to color match other parts that is doable as well.

9. ElMartillo

ElMartillo

Nov 23, 2018
    Ceramic coatings are a form of powdercoating. The tuning keys/machines would not perform correctly unless plated. The tuning machines offered by hipshot are not compatable with my 2018 4003.

As stated several times I’m interested in a black plated finish, not a painted or powdercoated finish.

I’ll search elsewhere.

Continue this conversation without me.

10. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Your 2018 Richkenbacker tuners are Schaller SB tuners made for Rickenbacker; the Hipshot HB5 Is the Hipshot replacement for it, available in black. The Hipshot replacement for the Rickenbacker bridge is also available in black.

That leaves the bridge cover and bezels. bezels are readily avialable in black. A Parkerized finish is plating. the color can very from a light gray to a dark black depending on the metal used in the process.