Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by ymmij, Jun 7, 2005.

1. ymmij

May 26, 2005
    hi, iv been playing double bass for 7 years,and i play mostly
    jazz pizz problem is whenever i try to get into some
    arco playing i hate the gumf thats on my strings from the
    resin that i use.i got this when i bought my bow which cost
    me fifty pounds.the resin is as described on box is called
    blackwaxless symphonic d bass resin.i love the sound of the
    bow but hate this sticky mess.can anyone help.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The tack is good. That's what makes the bow work. If you use coarse linen (like a napkin) to clean the strings after each bowing session, the problem should be minimal. If you need to clean the goo off even better, any solvent like denatured alcohol, lighter fluid, mineral spirits, or the like will do the trick. Just be careful to watch the finish on the bass.

Also, if you use a better rosin, like Carlssons for example, it will be less of an issue.
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I use those little towelets to clean the strings tho i must say i do not have such a problem with rosin getting all over the place.
  4. jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL
    I never realized that that could be a problem. One day a guitar player, who also played bass and myself decided to trade instruments for a couple of tunes. (I'm also a guitar player) When we finished he said, "What the hell is that sticky stuff all over my fingers?" His arms were much longer than mine, and he had gotten his fingers down into the resin area. If you keep your bow below the end of the fingerboard, and keep your right hand above the end, you really shouldn't have a problem with it.
  5. Make sure that after every single time you play with a bow, you wipe off your strings with a cloth. This will prevent buildup. To scrape off the buildup, before you use a cleaner, like some were suggesting, try using steel wool.

6. Steel wool will be too abrasive for the string wrappings.

Use a cloth (with lots of friction to melt the rosin off) or use 100% COPPER "wool" scrubbing pads, readily available in the cleaning aisle of your local grocery store.

Try cleaning the top of the bass once a year, too. The wood will love it! I use the bass cleaning kit from Kolstein music, you can get it from the Kolstein web site, and it's also sold by
  7. bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    I use a copper scrubbie. Works great.
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Depending on how recent is "recently," it may be nothing more than you need some time for the hair to develop a tack.

It's always a pain to play in new hair, but if the hair was handled a great deal during the process of thet rehair or never really well cleaned in the first place, it can take a lot of time and effort to get it to really take the rosin well.

When I got my bows rehaired, my teacher suggested that I use Pops for a week or so just to build up a nice base. After that the Carlsson's applied much better.

As for your question about the rosin, the heat and humidity typically make it more tacky, not less.
  10. B. Johnson

B. Johnson

Apr 28, 2005
    Best thing I have ever found to clean the gunk . . . A brillo pad. You can get them for like 99 cents at a grocery store and they work like magic.
  11. Isn't resin the gooey stuff stuck to the inside of my bong? Should I put that on my bow instead of Carlson's? Groovey... :D
  12. Oh, and I second the brillo pad. Just keep a little piece in your bow case or whatever; works great. Although a little rubbing alcohol from time to time will get things squeeky clean.