1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Resizing/shrinking basses: how common is it?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by MikeCanada, Dec 17, 2015.

1. For a time, when I was in college, I played a wonderful (borrowed) bass owned by my high school teacher; it had a 44-1/4" mensure. It felt perfectly okay back then, but I'm not sure I'd be able to handle it now, with my 50+ year old physiology (Playing a 42" now, and it feels like a stretch). It was a grand, round-back instrument with an enormous voice. Appeared to be late 19th century, big English shoulders, violin corners. Reminded me of a Hawkes bass, but it had hat-peg tuners and a square-ish shaped neck heel, so I don't think it was a Hawkes. Always wondered about the origin of that bass.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Could it have been a German-made Hawkes?

3. I wondered about that. But I don't think I've ever seen any of the Hawkes basses with the button and heel shape that this bass had. (I'm also not sure if any of the Hawkes models were built with such a monstrous string length, for that matter.)

robobass likes this.