1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Restoration project looking for tips

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jun 29, 2012.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have been playing and test driving basses at a local bar for the past 7 years. Last night I was approached by a guy that knows i build. He said he had a Gretsch guitar he wanted me to look at and I said sure no problem then he mentioned he bought it in the late '50's. That sparked my interest. He went on to say he took it with him while he was in the service and then years later loand it to his daughter to go to music school. He recently got it back and was shocked at the condition it was in. He wants me to bring it back to life. I have to admit I wan't expecting it to be this rough when he brought it in. I don't know the exact year or model. do any of you? Where can I get info on it? Parts? It is a very interesting project for me so I am looking forward to it.

Attached Files:

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think that model was called the "Corvette" (yea, like the car.) I believe it was Gretsch's entry level electric from the time period. When you consider that Fender had the Tele and Strat, and Gibson has the LP Junior, the Corvette is a pretty innovative design.

From the photo, it looks like it is all there, just not all together. A new pickguard is needed but the rest of the parts look original. Check out photos (I am guessing there are some) on the www to see one in original condition.

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    The plot thickens I got the control cavity open and there is no info at all.

image-3676990132.

5. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    Blood Brothers Guitars - Luthier, Porter Guitars - Contractor
  6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    The bridge is different and he said he bought it in 57 or 58. Getting ready to put an ohm meter on the pup

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I am reading only 2.88K on the pup. Any chance that could be correct? :eyebrow:

8. SaintMez

SaintMez Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    Meridian, idaho
    Blood Brothers Guitars - Luthier, Porter Guitars - Contractor
  9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida