Retro style basses - What do you like about them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sacha Lévesque, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Hi,

There seems to be a Retro style bass renaissance and I am curious to know what you guys like about them. Is it the look, the tone, the feel, the “mojo”, all of the above?

Also, what is your “Retro” bass of choice?

Pictures are welcomed :)

Thanks,

Sacha

2. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Some of it may be pushback from the predominance -- near tyranny -- of Fender-ish basses, which by now have surpassed ubiquity. But that largely would be based on looks. The new Retros that are patterned after actual vintage models do not have the same pickups or electronics as the originals. But they will sound different from Fenders.

I don't need a Retro bass of choice; I have the originals.

Mastermold, B-Mac, SubHuman and 8 others like this.
  3. Thanks for your reply! Anything specific you like about the originals (and which one are those haha)?

4. No worries! You can always delete the duplicates if you want!

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Dynacord, D.M.N., Holdsg and 9 others like this.
  6. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
  7. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Well, I'm sure part of it is Boomer nostalgia, being able to afford the basses I could not afford as a kid because the bands I was in were gig-starved. But the main thing, I believe, is their infinite variety.

1960s electric basses - بحث Google

8. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

That was their intention. An updated version of the Panther ;)

Thus the name ...
    Acinonyx - Wikipedia

:D

9. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Wow! Thanks for the link; I had no idea. If pressed, I would have said Acinonyx was a king of ancient Gaul.

10. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

:D

JRA likes this.
  11. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    The most i like at retro basses is tha vintage finish look. Like Jaco bass of doom.

Tari and lowdownthump like this.
  12. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    Fender and all other legacy brand still sell so ... are they really retro ?

personally I don’t like them, too old and we have moved on to more modern design for modern playing

gebass6 likes this.
  13. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I'm not thrilled with the retro reissues I've tried, they mostly miss the most salient charming details of the originals. Speaking of which, I'd love to have an original oddball orphan or two of the sixties persuasion, (Eko, Hagstrom, Framus come to mind) but the fact that they are mostly priced about ten times what they are worth "as a bass" tends to put the damper on my nostalgic enthusiasm...

bpc and Sacha Lévesque like this.
  14. I see...what kind of details are you referring to?

15. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Yes. I feel very, very lucky. In the very earliest part of this millenium I was in a band which was successful enough to provide me a fair amount of discretionary income, which I proceeded to spend indiscreetly. Online auction prices had not ballooned crazy high like they did once the 2008 recession hit, and I have a very good memory and know how to research, to boot. I snagged a lot of good deals because I was the only bidder. No one else had any idea what they were looking at. Now, of course, anything that is old is priceless just because it is old.

Mastermold and mikewalker like this.
  16. spantini

spantini

Jun 13, 2020
    Lakeland, FL USA
    As far as retro, I'm mainly interested in MIM Fender P & J basses, also Strats. I like the classic looks which are pretty much unchanged. I like Fender's recreating the original pickups and updating the electronics. My Classic 50s Strat w/SSS is sweet. I'm not into the road worn look.

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Things go in cycles.

D.M.N., ajkula66 and JRA like this.
  18. I think to some degree there is an interest in seldom seen basses that have modern build qualities and better pickups than some of the oddball examples (particularly early Japanese stuff)

19. The general push behind this style of axe or that style comes and goes with the seasons, as it's fashion, what's hip right now, far more than any particular relevance or tone or style of construction.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021