1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Returning player after 40 years.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bcolins, Sep 22, 2008.

1. bcolins

bcolins

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    So, at age 57, I bought a new amp (Carvin B800 off eBay and Avatar 212 Neo direct from Dave) in the last week and have my trusty Peavey Koa Dynabass Unity (Peavey's name for neck-through construction) I found in a pawn shop 15 years ago and never played.

What is the best way to get up to todays gigging standards. I just looked at bassguitarsecrets.com and their ad sounds compelling. I think I would prefer something video based if available as I seem to learn more quickly that way. Back in the day, I played in a number of rock bands that did cover tunes,...that was in the 60s.............could probably play most anything I played then still today.....mostly straight forward simple progression stuff.I played two finger style on the right hand.....no plucking, slapping or anything like that.....that stuff didn't exist back in the 60s

Any suggestions??

Brian in Austin

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Lots of bands playing exactly the stuff you played in the '60s. Visit some venues to check out the bands. See what they're playing. No need for bassguitarsecrets.com. Since you played a lot back in the day, you already know the secret.

Good luck.

3. ray5903

ray5903

Dec 10, 2006
    welcome back to playing again. i know you 'll enjoy it :bassist:

4. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    today's rock bass music is pretty rudimentary stuff from the stuff from the 60's and 70's. You should do fine, just get the chops goin again!

5. After taking 20 years off, I downloaded everything I could find, burned cd's, and went into 8 hour a day playing marathons. Took 6 months before I had my mechanics down. But I could feel the improvements month after month. I knew how to play, getting it to my hands took time. I joined a band when I was comfortable on about 200 cover songs and havent looked back. There was alot of songs out that I hadnt learned since I was not playing, and had to catch up. I went around and watched bands, wrote down what they were playing during this time to know what to learn. One of the bands I watched, is whom Im with now, as when they were looking for a bass player, I auditioned, knew all the songs they play, and got the job.