1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Revamping my rig; looking for a new micro amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JumboFriendly, Dec 6, 2011.

1. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    I've always used big, giant, ugly amps. I've never had a problem with them. It made me feel like a bass player to have a giant stack sitting next to me. It was my comfort blanket. However, my back isn't as strong as it once was, I'm starting to hate stairs, and a recent problem with my Peavey tube amp that left it dead in the water has me a bit concerned. I don't want to be left without an amp at a gig, for instance. For that reason, I'm trying to revamp my rig a little bit, and add a backup head.

The Yorkville 410B that I'm playing through now just isn't getting it done for me. I've decided to go the custom cab route, and ordered a set of BFM Jack 12 plans. I'm planning to build at least two of those so I can go modular - big gigs get more cabs, small gigs and practice get fewer.

I'm also planning to keep my Peavey VB-2. I love that amp, and I don't think I could part with it. What I want is one of those new micro amps that I could stick in a pocket in my gig bag and have a backup head with me just in case the tubes let go during a show.

I've tried searching, but my search-fu is poor. If anyone can point me in the direction of any comparo-threads, or just outright recommend something for me, I would certainly appreciate it.

I play typical bar-band covers and a bit of classic rock. I'd prefer buying used to save the bucks. Price should ideally be under $4-500 or so, but could swing a little bit more if necessary.

What say you, TB?

2. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    The GK MBfusion, mb500/800 I like way more than the Mark bass stuff, however you will likely find more Mark bass stuff used. The Genz benz streamliner 600 might be in you liking as well, I love the 900. But the Genz Benz Stramliner is not quite gig bag small. Try out the Shuttle as well by Genz benz, light small, and lots of power.

Are you more vintage vibe or modern, or do you want a swiss army knife of tone?

3. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    I'm much more of a vintage-style guy. All my basses are passive, mostly strung with flats, etc. Thanks for the suggestions so far! Last time I was buying amps, most of this stuff wasn't even around, so I have no idea what's even out there, and even less clue of what's 'good' or not.

It's not fun feeling like a noob all over again.

4. 3l3phantstomp

3l3phantstomp Doesn't Welcome Our New Overlords

Jun 6, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    I went from 70's Ampeg V4B thru Ampeg 4x10 to an Orange 500 Terror Bass into their SP 212 cab. The terror bass (some call tiny terror bass) 500w is more "lunch pail" sized and comes with its own carrying bag (like a camera bag). The thing is amazing.

I too am that vintage guy with flats (GHS flatbrites), playing that vintage heavy gear, and the only reason I switched was due to your situation (amp went out during gig...spent $500 reparing it/rebiasing it this year).

You can get restocks or used juuuuust outside of your price range on the head. Just make sure your plans for cabs include neutrik inputs for that's what the terror bass uses. BEWARE: your peavey will become your backup after 5 minutes with this head. Numbing. CANNOT say enough about the SP 212 either. Its frustrating more places don't stock this to try out. Heads got 4 and 8 ohm switch for your modularness as well as a nice DI out.

5. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    I will guess that if you are more a vintage tone guy, then the streamliner 600 or the GK MBFusion should be your tryout amps. I can't comment on the Orange, never heard or played but its not micro.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg PF350 or PF500, $300 and $400. If you like tube amps and don't want to spend much for a backup but you still want a tubey sound, these are the amps to get.

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Ampeg PF-500 or Aguilar Tonehammer fit your description. The Markbass Little Mark III has a VLE filter which makes it sound vintagey. They're all good and affordable.

8. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Ahh, I forgot about the Tone Hammer +1 to that amp, I am not a fan of the ampeg personally.

9. darknes40

darknes40

Oct 11, 2011
    Get a shuttle u will not be sorry I love mine so much