1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reverb recommendations w/small footprint

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by skeevy, Apr 2, 2013.

1. skeevy

skeevy

Mar 2, 2012
    Hey guys, looking for a quality reverb stomp box that won't take up much room on my board. Any recommendations? Planning to use it mostly for ambient interludes between songs.

Thanks much!

Edit: double mostly

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    IE Nimbus

3. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    For extra small size, the EHX Holy Grail Nano is decent. I don't know how well it would handle low end on typical bass lines, but that may not matter as much if you're using it for interludes.

This EQD Dispatch Master may be a good option as well. It is technically a delay pedal, but it does have a reverb function that can be used separately or in conjunction with the delay. That's a great choice for a lot of ambiance in one small pedal, and it's well liked on TB. I currently use one, although I will soon be pitting it against an IE Nimbus and don't know which I'll keep.

4. Aside from those already mentioned, also look at the EQD Ghost Echo, Mr Black has a couple interesting ones, SubDecay Spring Theory, and the TC Electronic Hall of Fame/Trinity, which is the one I've settled on.

5. skeevy

skeevy

Mar 2, 2012
    Thanks for the replies!

6. Definitely check out the pedals mentioned. All of them are awesome in there own way.

Also take a look at the Dr. Scientist Radical Red Mini Reverberator. It is possibly the smallest reverb pedal I have seen, plus it sounds great.

7. Not as small as what has been mentioned, but I love my Source Audio dimension reverb.

8. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    My favorite reverb in a small footprint is a Boss RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay: I just really dig all 4 reverbs, dig the delay and REALLY dig the reverb/delay combo. Has 2 rooms, a hall and plate all with lots of range: from very subtle to MASSIVE! And can go from 100% dry / 100% wet.

9. $T2eC16NHJG!E9nm3o)lNBRBgt5bsuw~~60_35.

Mooer ShimVerb. TINY. It's analog, so the time options are more limited. However, you can mess with the rate and for some really nifty sounds, especially with other effects. It also has a "shimmer" mode which is almost like having another separate effect.

I use it on occasions, and have recorded with it. It's not super versatile, with fairly limited sounds. However, the quality is pretty good, doesn't cut out the lows much, and the shimmer mode's pretty cool.

If you're just looking for "a reverb," and not looking to be able to customize the reverbs beyond level, decay time and "color" of the reverb, then this is may be a good choice for you.

10. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I have the EQD Dispatch Master and its reverb sounds very nice on its own and even nicer with a touch of delay. Having the clean/effected mix knob is great for getting it dialed in just right. Very small footprint though I wish the power jack was elsewhere. Nimbus looks awfully cool, but I've never tried one.

11. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I'm comparing the Nimbus and Dispatch Master right now.

The delay/reverb combo on the DM is indeed awesome. The reverb has a nice sound and decent range considering the largely one-knob operation (although the "repeats" knob also modifies the effect). It's so compact that it actually might be *too small* ... the footswitch is very close to the knobs, which turn easily, so activating it in a live setting is not as worry-free as I would prefer.

The Nimbus has a practically infinite range of reverb, from "just a touch of plate" to "I can't hear my actual notes in this enormous cavern." The pedal itself is a bit larger but still on the smaller side -- and it doesn't actually take up more pedalboard space than the DM for me, because of the top-mounted jacks. Due to the separate "clean" and "reverb" volume knobs, you could actually use the Nimbus as a volume boost as well. I do admit that I miss the delay functionality when I switch over to this from the DM, though.

12. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    The shimmer mode, since it mixes in a pitch that's 7 steps (a fifth) up, almost certainly has a digital component, which makes it fairly likely the rest is digital too.

13. moe.moe

moe.moe Endorsed by Mercy & Grace ™

Jun 22, 2008
    +1 ^^

14. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

May 21, 2013
    That's one complaint I have against it. And the constant hum when the one I tried out was turned out. And if you have an active bass you can clip the living hell out of it unless you keep most of the settings quite moderate.

But when you're not clipping the living hell out of it, it makes some of the most beautiful sounds on earth. Wish it was bigger and didn't clip so easily.

15. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    When we were working on the Dimension Reverb we carefully listened to all of the most talked about reverb pedals, including the big expensive ones.

The TC Hall of Fame was a winner, and it is in a compact package. If you know the history of where those effects come from, it does make some sense.

16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have to say the zoom 70cdr is a great pedal for the price. It has a lot of different types of reverb and you make your own patches of them. It's about the size of a boss pedal which IMO isn't that big. You get delay and chorus effects as well. I'm extremely happy with this pedal. Does a great job for a multi effects unit. Very usable live. I've been using mine as a chorus mainly but I keep forgetting to bust out with some reverb. I'll have to do that tomorrow and build me some reverb patches. Thanks for the reminder!! Hehe

17. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    There are some good recommendations in this thread guys, thanks for the info. After I perused some demos of the various pedals mentioned, I came across this one of the Dispatch Master, and immediately ordered one. Holy cow this thing sounds good! Waiting until tuesday is going to be murder...

18. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
  19. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    +1 on IE Nimbus. I got one a few weeks ago and it does it all - regular awesome reverb to playing bass in a massive dungeon thousands of feet underground with no lights. It is also specifically designed for bass.

20. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    Congrats on the Dispatch Master. I love mine so much I'm gonna etch it like a my other 'permanent' pedals. It does exactly what I need.

I'm not saying I won't try and buy other delay/reverbs. Just saying I'll never sell the Dispatch Master. So good for the ambient stuff I do.

Note that it may distort with a hot signal when you crank the Repeats knob all the way. But then I don't crank the repeats knob all the way, so...