1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RH-5 vs RH-200 vs Sennheiser HD 280

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by littlebooner, Feb 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Roland RH-200

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sennheiser HD 280

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Other and why?

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. littlebooner

littlebooner

Jan 27, 2012
    Surrey, BC
    I recently had my Roland RH-5 headphones break twice, the second time beyond repair. I always enjoyed the flat response of the RH-5, but have found the construction of these headphones and ones at a similar price point eventually break.

So naturally I'm looking at the RH-200 as they look to have better construction and I would expect them to be similar (but better?) than the RH-5 in sound. Wondering if double the price of the RH-5 is worth it for the RH-200.

However, the Sennheiser HD 280 gets a lot of love here and are cheaper by $30 CAD.

Can anyone speak to either and the build/sound quality? And even better, anybody who has had experience with both?

2. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    I had a pair of Sennheiser HD280 phones for many years, and recently replaced the ear and head-band pads. Bought a new set to compare with the old, and they both sound the same.

I've no experience with Roland, so no comment...

3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    When I got my HD280 Pro I spent a morning auditioning many others by many names and up to many times the price, including offerings from AudioTechnica, AKG, Sony etc. At any price point, the Sennhieser won out for comfort, volume, clarity, accuracy, sensitivity and colour-free tone. Easily best in class.