Ric 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I noticed on the Rickenbacker site , they have announced an upgrade to the 2006 4003 basses .See link

I have a 4003 jetglo ordered and it should be here next week but I doubt it will have this upgrade. I don't think it will be a big deal to me(plus I don't want to screw with a new bass right away) but as time goes on I may develope GAS for it. Is there any aftermarket upgrades like this already out there?
  2. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Wow thats extremley cool!
  3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Nice one, it's good that Ric are responding to customers like this, they obviously take note of what people are saying on the forums. I'm sure you could get the components to do the mod fairly easily. Ric themselves would help out if you wanted to do it, I'm fairly sure.
  4. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Hmmm. I thought I could already get close to Squire's tone with my 2005 Ric 4003! With this mod and the new walnut wings on the headstock, I probably shouldve waited till now to order, instead of December. Gas pressure was so intense, however, and I cant look back now :bassist: :D
  5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I believe RIC actually started putting this circuit in the 4003 towards the end of 2005, so there's a chance yours may have it.

Doing this yourself isn't a big task as long as you're comfortable with a soldering iron, but the biggest stumbling block might be finding a push-pull pot that will fit the 4003's cavity (it's shallower compared to most other basses; all the push-pull pots I've seen on StewMac and other sites are just a little too long.) Unless you want to route a little wood out from the bottom of the cavity... but there's not a whole lot to work with and a very unfortunate accident could happen!
  6. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Looks good. Now if they could only update that bridge design.
  7. Coming too!
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's pretty sweet. Glad RIC is listening to the customers.
  9. +1

now they just need to make more 4004lks and i'll be set.
  10. Too bad Guitar Center stopped dealing with Rickenbacker, I can't get any deals on a new one now... :scowl: . I cant blame GC though, I heard that lot's of GC's were getting orders for Rics but Ric was sending them out. Looks like I have to deal with the fools at Sam Ash or Manny's :)bawl: :( :rollno: :scowl: ) if I don't get one off the internet. After selling my 4001, I have terrible gas again...
  11. steve21

steve21 Banned

:( this means I might have to go into sam ash to try one?

damn. :(
  12. where did you find out about the walnut wings? :hyper:
  13. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
  14. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I called the dealer I bought it from and they said that the bass I bought was just received from Rickenbacker 4 days before I purchased it. I got the last one ,the other 4 had already been reserved/sold. It was apparently made in December meaning I have a good chance of having the upgrade. The walnut wings I have no idea and since it is a Jet Glo I assume the whole thing will be black, either I don't understand the difference or will never be able to tell. I will post pics tomorrow!
  15. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    I read about the walnut wings on Rickenbacker.com/forums. How you could tell a difference of a jetglo, I don't know. On my new mapleglo, however...