Rich here...

Discussion in 'Line 6' started by richrenken, Jul 20, 2009.

1. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    Rich here. Just wanted to let you know that Aaron and I are already in here checking out your threads. I will be responding tonight. Also, very soon we will give you guys a bit of background on us and what we want to see in this forum.

Bottom line for now is that Aaron and I are both Bass players first and foremost and want to fight to do the right things for bass players and hear from more bass players that play all different situations.

One for instance was a post in my JMJ forum. Someone said of M13, how about a clean octaver. Well, I am hopeful that in the early fallish release for M13 we will have a clean octaver.

Talk soon at TalkBass. :)

Peace, Rich.

P.S. Aaron and I are not in Customer Service. You can post questions about current gear no prob, you never know, we may have an answer, if not we will direct you to our forums at line6.com

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Rich and Aaron,

I would like to thank you guys for giving us this sponsored forum. :)

I'm excited about this... I'm sort of a fanboy.

I own a couple of your products, and haven't had any bad experiences to day. (Except with clipping and tweaking volume levels on my POD X3.)

Although I keep replacing it with other gear from other brands... because I am a gear whore. :bag:

But after all that, I haven't bought my last product from Line 6 yet.

I'm eyeballing the Lowdown Studio 110. (for home practice and my home recording setup)

I look forward in wich direction your products will go after the feedback from us bassists.

3. Hi Rich and Aaron!

I use Guitar port and Gear Box Gold and am very happy with it.

I also own a Bass Pod XT Live. It worked great for a couple of years then the Flash Memory disappeared (it now shows up as a (?) on Line6 Monkey). I think the Flash chip is bad (?). The closest repair shop listed on Line6 is 120 miles away (I'm in Pahoa, HI the shop is in Kona, HI). Is it possible to replace the Flash chip myself, or does the shop have to program it on site?

I like the Bass Pod XT Live and would like to get it working again (especially since I'm without an amp at the moment)

Thanks!

Mike

4. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    I use and love the Studio 110. It is gigable for certain gigs. There is a couple small clubs where I just bring it and put it in a corner and walla, enough bass in the small room. You won't be unhappy with it. Chris Chaney uses one for many sessions.

One thing, you guys will never offend me talking about other gear. I am pretty sure Aaron would say the same, we are both fans of many pieces of gear. Even in here we won't put down other company's gear. But in here, we may give our own personal take on other's gear, but always in a respectful way. :)

5. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    Hey Mike, welcome aboard. :)

First of all, I believe that you can go download POD Farm Platinum because you own GearBox Gold. Have you heard about it yet?

Two, I would post your question for the Bass PODxt Live over here...
    http://line6.com/community/community/support/pod_support/otherpods?view=discussions

Post it as a question and one of the Line 6 support guys should let you know. Or you can call 818-575-3600 to get to customer service on the phone.

6. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    Hey Mike, welcome aboard. :)

First of all, I believe that you can go download POD Farm Platinum because you own GearBox Gold. Have you heard about it yet?

Two, I would post your question for the Bass PODxt Live over here...
    http://line6.com/community/community/support/pod_support/otherpods?view=discussions

Post it as a question and one of the Line 6 support guys should let you know. Or you can call 818-575-3600 to get to customer service on the phone.

I should have put in the intro that we are not customer service. Sorry about that. But I don't mind hearing those kinds of questions, you never know, I may have an answer.

Peace,

Rich

7. Thanks for your response Rich. I'll check out the Pod Farm Platinum.

8. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Southern California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    Hi,
    I just recently bought the UX1 and nearly returned it! OMG! Glad I didn't. The UX1 is great. The software that came with it was not great (ableton). Sheesh, must have spent at least 20+ hours (by myself, then with your tech and Sweetwater tech) trying to get it to work properly (UX1 and Ableton) on 3 different computers...I gave up.

So, I went and bought the $35 Cakewalk MusicMaker 5 and less than 1 hour later, the UX1 blends perfectly with MM5. Now, I'm in business. :bassist:

9. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    Glad to see you got to a happy place. Crazy how much trouble you had.

10. B man

B man

Jul 26, 2009
    Hey Rich,
    I was following threads suggesting ideas for improving the Lowdown series amps and ended up here. My suggestions are:
    - Make it lose about 10-15 lbs but don't compromise build quality.
    - Cover it with something like Ampeg uses. The carpet stuff drags the bar smell home and it would be hell to wipe beverage residue off the amp.
    - Create a unique Line 6 LD amp sound as another selection in addition to the SVT, Brit, Fliptop, etc. (My suggestion is superclean, warm, and good bottom. One that makes other manufacturers want to model a Lowdown!
    - Castors are a MUST HAVE.
    - For LD 300, external speaker output jack is a MUST HAVE.
    - Consider complete switch to Eminence speakers. I believe you guys use Hi-Touch (???). I have never heard of them and cannot find a website on that company.

Making the amps true pro quality, even with a modest price increase, will not scare us away. I think most bass players buy for sound and quality first and then price.

Thanks for listening. I am impressed that you guys are paying attention to us out here in consumer land.

B Man

11. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    Thank you for talking. :)

All good stuff. Thank you so much for sharing.

12. Rich, these are comments I posted in the other thread. I wanted to direct to you and seek out your perspective.

Question: Does it seem that the XT Pro, with all it's features and adaptability has been "put to the side" as current trends (e.g. lowDown , Live XT, X-3) have taken the forefront?? What's up with that?? I fail to understand how trends (e.g. less amp model choices, limited effects voicings etc. etc. offered in high wattage heads is appealing to professional bassists?? Chasing trends in my opinion... I would like to have improved amp models (i.e. advancements in clean modelling-Aguilar, Eden etc) with a focus on where bass amplification is heading, not just where it has been. I do love the historic amp sims available BUT let's focus on the future. Case in point, my Spector NS-2J (EMG pickups with Aguilar pre amp) and I seek modern amp sims as well as the many offerings from the 60s' and 70s'.

Offered refinements in simplifying the operation of the unit as well as MORE than 64 pre-set locations (IF BEHRINGER can offer 128 presets for $160....What the hell???). I would love banks and banks of EMPTY preset locations. I wouldn't have to erase anything, even the "over-cooked pre-sets I have "re-jigged". I think this alone would encourage me to re-invest more $$. I would like to have increased flexibility/ease in setting consistent output levels through pre-sets(including amp sims) allowing for me to tailor pre-sets to my basses...This includes active and passive pickups.

LASTLY (my rant is concluding)... I wish for this to be packaged in a BASS POD that it rack mountable..Not an "all encompassing unit..I'm a bass player). Oh yeah, I love the X-3 option of bi-amping completely separate rigs BUT Holy Friggin', how clear is this really going to be through F.O.H. Common y'all...... (yeah I know, recording benefits aside.....).

Thanks for listening,

Marc from Canada,

P.S. I'm glad I live near the Michigan border, where I could buy the XT Pro for $500 new. In Ontario, I was told by many stores (e.g. Steve's in Ottawa) that the distributor sets the bench mark at over $900 Canadian. Are you serious, another slam to Line 6 in Canada.

13. B man

B man

Jul 26, 2009
    Rich,
    I am considering purchasing the Line 6 LD400 Pro. I will also be purchasing an external Gallien-Krueger 115RBX cabinet to add the 15" bottom end. I wanted to find out how the technical end of this works. When I plug in the external cabinet, do I get (at max volume) 200 watts to the external cabinet and 200 watts to the two 10" speakers in the LD400? Impedance on the Gallien-Krueger is 8 ohms. I am not sure how to figure that out. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    B man

14. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    I am a bit confused. Why don't you get the X3 Pro? It has what you are asking for here right? It has everything the XT has and more, right?

I am not the POD guy here at Line 6.

I will say that our take on the models in LowDown are going after the most used amps today. SVT and FlipTop are not were bass amps have been, they are still the most used amps today, by pros and in general. But I hear you on getting a more modern sound in there with the tried and true.

15. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    No, if you add an 8 ohm speaker to the LD400 Pro you take the total watts up to about 650 watts. So it becomes an even louder more massive amp. It is a great way to go.

16. Hi Rich, firstly, thanks for the reply, just shows your dedication to reaching out to the bass playing community.

I understand how I could be confusing, let me clarify: I didn't chose to buy the X-3 because I felt the extra cost for features I didn't need was worth it. I felt the benefits of having two separate bass "rigs" was not a feature I required. As for the unit being an "all in one" , I felt somewhat "hyjacked" as a bass player: e.g. You need to purchase but all the guitar features to get the bass features and extra fidelity offered. Really I did not see any new amps or effects warranting the extra expenditure.

My comments regarding the cost of the units in Canada (versus the U.S.) does reflect my frustration in that I believe this is a major barrier to building the Canadian Line 6 following!!

That said, I am a proud Line 6 "devotee" who flies the banner of the brand and quality of sound. Many times bassists have listened, complimented the tone heard and later, upon inspecting the rack, shook their heads while stating comments that they would not have believed the quality of the sims.. Ha, ha, Their learning one convert at a time!!

Thanks again,

Marc

17. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    Got you. I understand and agree that is why we are in here talking to bass players.

As far as Canadian followers and prices, all American companies deal with that, it is a hard one.

Thank you for flying the flag. I, too, get those reactions. Especially when I do a gig with just my M13 and Studio 110. :)

18. B man

B man

Jul 26, 2009
    Rich,
    Will the external speaker blow? It is rated at 250 watts. If the LD 400 has 650 watts when connected to an external speaker, it seems that the external speaker would have to be rated pretty high. Thanks.
    B Man

19. richrenken

richrenken

Apr 22, 2009
    Calabasas, CA
    Product Manager Line 6
    That is a good question. I am not sure. I would do a google search about it. Maybe someone can jump in and post. Or, I will ask at work and let you know.

20. dratzsch

dratzsch

Jul 20, 2009
    Omaha Ne
    Rich Dude you got to call me. I've got a bass with your name on it but it will cost you a call and visit.