Rick Danko Fan Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by blues_bassist, May 20, 2009.

1. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm a huge Rick Danko fan, so I figured why not start a club about Rick. Rick of course was the bassist for the country-rock band The Band.

This is the place for everything Rick Danko and even The Band. Let me know if you want a number.

#1 blues_bassist
    #2 iamthebassman
    #3 rockinpop
    #4 Buskman
    #5 VanzKantDanz
    #6 Ronbo61
    #7 superbassman2000
    #8 Alan Vorse
    #9 robkphoto
    #10 Harpo61
    #11 Dark Horse
    #12 3rdBass
    #13 Goodlawdy
    #14 overdrivethree
    #15 becker4567

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Hell yeah! Rick's the reason I bought this bass. Oh yeah, number please.
    eastwood001.jpg

3. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    That Ampeg Bass is AWESOME!!! Where did you get it from, what year is it, how much is it? You want #2?

the harp unstrung likes this.
  4. rockinpop

rockinpop Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Lindenhurst, New York
    YES !!! Please assign me a number. Rick was probably my all-time favorite. And man, that Ampeg bass is sweet.

5. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oke, you're #3.

6. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    I'll take a number! :)

I've always loved Rick's playing.

I actually got to see Rick play with The Band in the late 80's (I was still in high school) when they played a show at the local community college. :eek: I was front row, the stage came up to a little below my chest, and Rick was about four feet away from me, jammin' on a Gibson Grabber (Ripper, maybe? Can't quite remember...). One of my all-time favorite shows.

Fast forward a few years (about '94). I had moved to upstate New York (Woodstock was about 45 minutes away from me). And Bob Dylan was playing a show in the area. He was supposed to have some "special surprise guests" with him that night. I bought tickets, but something came up (doesn't it always?) and my co-workers went to the show without me.

Afterwards, I found out who the "guests" were. You guessed it - Rick, Levon, Garth... The Band. Wish I had gone to that one... :bawl:

Anyhow, sign me up - a big Danko fan here! :D

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Yes, I'm #2. ;)
    Not an Ampeg, I know of only one lefty Ampeg, it was for sale a few years back, belonged to the bassist of The Four Seasons, sold for tons of $$$! Mine's an Eastwood EEB-1, a great bass, obviously based on the old Ampeg.
    http://eastwoodguitars.com/
    eastwood002.jpg

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    When I was first learning to play bass in 1977, I went to a midnight movie, it was The Last Waltz, and to a young, impressionable kid Danko looked way cool, and his playing was very influential in my formative years. I watch The Last Waltz a lot, I even have a bootleg DVD called The Lost Waltz, it's the whole concert, everything.

9. CrazyChester

CrazyChester

Feb 22, 2008
    A great place for all things Rick Danko is the Rick Danko site, maintained by his friend Carol Caffin. She worked with him for years. The site is called "Sip the Wine" which is the name of one of Danko's songs. The address is www.sipthewine.blogspot.com.

There is also a Rick Danko Facebook page run by the same person.

47th Street likes this.
  10. VanzKantDanz

VanzKantDanz

Sep 4, 2007
    Michigan
    Yes, number please. Danko was the man, his instructional videos were really good.

11. I have been listening to Danko for a few years, and I really like what he does...I also really admire his ability to sing like he does while playing like he does!

12. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok, you're #4.

13. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok, you're #5.

14. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sweet! You want a number?

15. I loved Rick Danko's playing and singing! The Band has been one of my favorites since 1971. Being from Arkansas I have always felt a connection with Levon Helm and did get to meet him one Wednesday night in 1973 when he came to my church with his mother who lived in my hometown. I finally got to see the reunited (almost) Band live in 1986 with Earl Cate of the Cate Brothers filling the guitar slot. He's my favorite guitarist anyway, so I didn't mind! Anyway, I would like to join too please.

16. of course :)

17. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Welcome, you're #6.

18. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Welcome, you're #7.

19. just thought i'd post some of my favorites!

it makes no difference (from the last waltz) great tone, and good harmonies all around

20. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    I first got into The Band (and Rick) when I saw a video for "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" (from The Last Waltz) late one night on MTV (back when they played videos, and cool ones at that!). I was probably about 12 at the time and I remember thinking to myself, "what IS this?".

And Rick's intro line on "Don't Do it" pretty much got me into playing fretless Not Jaco, not Pino (they came later :p), but Rick and his Ampeg. And Levon's backbeat on that tune is soooooooo funky (same with "Cripple Creek")... not bad for a self-proclaimed "cracker" from Arkansas! :D

I played on an album for a singer/songwriter a few years back & on one tune I played my fretless Stingray 5 strung with LaBella tapewounds using a pick & muting w/ my palm. The studio owner/engineer said I had a huge Danko vibe going on in the track. One of the nicest compliments I could have ever received! :)

47th Street and Winoman like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021