Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rick Danko

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by play paintball, Jul 19, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

I'm sure most of you are familiar with Rick Danko, the bass player from The Band. He also put out some solo albums, but I think he was at his best when he was in the band.

Why doesn't he get more respect? I think he has a unique style that sounds amazing.

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Because..he never wiggled his fingers fast enough. He played appropriate tasteful lines that served the song and not the ego. Guy's Like that never get any respect. Except from you...and I.

That and..he played with a pick.

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    He is my hero......Danko will always be The Bassplayer!

4. amen. he is definately my favorite bass player.

5. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I love Rick and The Band.

I just can't get into his singing voice though. Eck..

As a bassplayer, he is great in terms of his ability to play solid yet understated basslines to great songs.

6. geez...i love "the weight"
    has anyone seen him on the DVD "the festival express"? he really amazed me with his bass line for the weight. that whole band is really good!

7. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Rick is brilliant & I love his voice. How about the bass linne on "King Harvest Has Surely come"?

And how about him, Janis & Jerry singing "No More 'Caine On The Train" from Festival Express?!

Priceless...

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Rick Danko was the reason I bought my fretless P-bass.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I had just got my first bass when The Last Waltz came out, I was truly inspired after seeing Rick play. A really great voice too. I have his instructional video. Sad I never got to meet him.