1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rig for small jazz gigs?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ruizmauricio03, Mar 9, 2019.

1. ruizmauricio03

ruizmauricio03

Mar 9, 2019
    I was wondering what's your current rig for jazz gigs, talking about your bass, amp, gigbag, if you use sheet music stand or even some pedals. I'm relatively new in this area, ive been playing with a latin jazz quintet for a couple months and wanted to know any suggestions and experiencies.

Bless!

Stumbo likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Seems like your post should be in the DB section.:thumbsup:

3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Not necessarily. I used to do lot's of jazz gigs with my Yamaha TRB6P. Basically cocktails and dinner music rather than feature shows. Also, I have seen plenty of live jazz shows with electric bass.

I used a GK 700RB/112 combo. This amp is heavy by today's standards, but it tilts back and rolls like airport luggage. I had a garment back for my tux; gig bag for the bass; and a zippered canvas bag for chords, books, stands, accessories. Basically one trip from the car.

The little GK wasn't loud enough when we did dances that featured pop music, so a second trip to the car was required for an extension speaker.

4. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Gearing up a semi-acoustic jazz/blues/classic rock trio and the preferred bass wound up being my fretless Acoustic-Guitar Bass (strung w/LaBella 760N's) and my Traynor SB110. I do use a Squier VM fretless as well and possibly a Jazz Bass if playing on a large stage, a jam or with a multitude of players. For small 'coffee house' or 'gallery' gigs I just use the AGB, SB110 (w/pedal board). I do have a good solid music stand and guitar stand. If we play larger venues, I'll pull out some of my tube amps and cabs.

For the small pedal board I use an Ampeg Classic Pre for the AGB and a Broughton Silver Deluxe for the electric. I have a Broughton HPF pedal to help tame boomy rooms and a BOSS Chorus as well, although the Chorus hasn't been used at all (yet).

Right now we're simply a trio (vocalist plays rhythm guitar) but will have 'special' guest accompanists. I've come appreciate the small and simple (yet I use a pedal board LOL).

Good luck, I hope this is helpful

12BitSlab likes this.
  5. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    No experience in small jazz gigs but I would take my 5 string Squier VM passive jazz bass, Ampeg SCR-DI, tuner pedal (also for mute) and my EV ZLX12P powered PA speaker. Loud enough for small gigs and can serve as a monitor if sending the DI from the SCR-DI to FOH for bigger gigs.
    I have an Airturn Go Stand tripod mic stand (fits in my bass gig bag when folded), a mic stand tablet holder with gooseneck (as I have my partitions in my tablet so it replaces my music stand) and a mic stand guitar adapter (replaces my guitar stand). Everything fits in my bass gig bag and I carry the PA speaker in one hand (35 lbs). One trip from car to gig.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  6. Yes good point. You will get different recommendations for an upright than an electric.

GrapeBass likes this.
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Depends on the venue. I like a single un-tweetered 15 and a GK mb-200 or mb-Fusion if I need the HP... bass wise... it is material dependent. 4 string fretted if there is a lot of walking involved. P, PJ, 44-01 or a Godin Acoustibass depending on the vibe. I would have a 5 if there is a horn to catch some low turn arounds. Maybe a fretless 4 if it’s a more free thing...

I don’t get a lot of low key jazz dates. I used to enjoy them. Now a days I get the call more for vocal oriented gigs where I contribute harmony and some lead vocal.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Wasnex likes this.
  8. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    2012 AM STD Jazz strung with flats, and a MarkBass CMD 121H and a 112 extension cab for larger venues

Very good jazz set up

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yes. This is bass prejudiced. :) Both DB and electric are viable. :)

10. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Why? OP doesn't mention DB anywhere. He could be playing a pointy metal bass for all we know.

pcake, 12BitSlab and Skeezix like this.
  11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    :)

12. maybe even a Fender Jazz Bass.

I have been jazzing most of the last few years. I use all the same basses and gears as I use for rocking. Tweak some EQ / gains, we're good. My main consideration when loading up is how much volume I need.

Wasnex and saabfender like this.
  13. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    for small jazzy gigs I use a Mark Bass Combo Head II. Usually more than loud enough, full sounding, and ultra small and light. Bass of choice now is Peavey Palaedium, and for effects, just a Boss Bass Chorus.

not sure these are available anymore, but it's like this:
    MARKBASS | Products | Mini CMD 121P