Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rig or Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AnthraxMann, Jun 25, 2004.

1. AnthraxMann

AnthraxMann

Jun 18, 2004
    Pawtucket, RI
    I'm looking at Behringer and Ashdown Combos and Rigs. I don't think I'll need the power of a full rig, but i don't want to feel like I wasted my money on a little combo and have to buy something bigger later. Would you buy a rig or combo?

2. Hi!

I make this choice exactly one year ago! :D
    I'd go for the rig, it depends of what you need, but I have two good solutions! :p
    2 2*10 cabs+head
    1 2*10+1 1*15 (18!!) +head
    So you can take all or less if it's a small gig!

I think sound is better with a rig! :eek:

Vince

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    you could go combo, but just be sure you get a combo that can have another speaker added to the output WITHOUT shutting off the internal speaker. more speakers moving makes your amp sound louder even if the wattage is not increased much (lower ohms by adding a cab does increase amp output up to a certain point).

I like SWR workingman or procombos. I also like Yorkville combos. the tone is better and I THINK they have a speaker output also. I had a swr wm-10 and KNOW the internal speaker stays on when extention is plugged in.

5. I think you sould get a rig like VinceLovesF suggested. Or maybe a

112+112+head rig.

6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    A combo IS a rig. The only difference having the head attached to the cab is on your back(ie:lifting it in and out of your hatchback) and versatility in terms of upgradability.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I prefer the head/cab setup myself. There are numerous advantages IMO. You can change or upgrade a piece at a time. If a componet fails, you just replace that piece. Combos loud enough for what I need are really heavy (410 combo or similar) to move around. I like being able to carry the individual componets and make it a little easier on my back. Plus, you can mix brands to get the sound you want.

8. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I'd rather load 2 small 45 lb. cabs + a 20 lb head into my car than one heavy, bulky combo any day. Plus all the advantages mentioned above. I've upgraded my head three times, but I'm still using the same cabs. It's much easier to upgrade, buy, repair, ship heads than entire combos.

Another option: Dr. Bass sells cabs with built in rack spaces. That allows you to build your own combo.