1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIM Custom "Hollowman" Vertical fretless Tapping beam/ Upright.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RIM Basses, Sep 30, 2008.

1. RIM Basses

RIM Basses Custom Basses from the UK

Aug 6, 2006
    Luton Town
    Hi Guys,

This is the first pictures of the RIM Hollowman, its a upright type of tapping stick come fretless Bass, Myself and mate Craige designed and made this at our work. Its made from Mild steel 60x30 box section and has a high gloss finish. The specs for the Hollowman are,

Mild steel Box 60x30
    High gloss finish
    Bubinga body wings
    Sperzel tuners
    Kent Armstrong Humbucker Passive Vol, Tone.
    Ali Custom Bridge

Its a very simple design and it really sounds great, its got the hollow sound and sustains nicely.

I will use EMG Pickups in the next version, so if you want a simple 4,5 string upright then get in touch. We are also going to design a stand for the Hollowman using a cymbal Stand.

Soundclips will come very soon,

hollowman005.

hollowman006.

hollowman009.

hollowman007.

hollowman011.

Craige playing the Hollowman!

Cheers,

Robbie.

2. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    That's really cool. Good work!

3. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Very nice Robbie excellent idea and carried out with your usual skill.
    Alan

4. Hey, is that coming to Bassday? :)

5. RIM Basses

Aug 6, 2006
    Luton Town
    Cheers Unclebalsamic,Alan and Mikey. And for sure it will be a Bassday UK along with the 8 string Tapper and Marks 5 string Custom Marseer.

Should been a cool day on the stand with Al and John!

Cheers,

Robbie.

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I like the look and simplicity of this design!
    I'm curious why you chose the aluminum to mount the tuning keys, instead of using blocks from the same bubinga used in the wings.
    I do want the chance to take it through airport security...

7. Im really looking forward to it, maybe I'll get to play some RIMs and ACGs :hyper:

Dragging the thread further off topic, are you bringing along some Thunderfunk amps? I'd like to try the Wizards on Mertons singlecut through one, my Trace is getting a bit tired and Christmas is coming up...

8. RVT

RVT

Jul 2, 2008
    Very cool. What's the scale length?

9. RIM Basses

Aug 6, 2006
    Luton Town
    Yeah for sure the next one will have wooden side pieces for the tuners, Mikey I will be bringing a new Tfunk 750 which will be for sale, should sound real nice thru mertons bass, you are building that right?

RVT the scale length is 34

Cheers,

Robbie.

10. Hi Robbie, Ive spent the last 4 months or so building a prototype, when Im done I can start basses #2 and #3 for Mert and myself. If Im brave I might even post them here... :eek:

11. Bump - I had a play on this on Sunday, as a concept it is really cool! People were gathered around it at the stand the whole day.

It would be good with 4 strings and a tapered neck, but I dont know if that can be done with the steel tube neck - maybe welded?

Robbies other basses were just as good as you'd expect, the 8 was mental :)

Ive gotta say both Robbie and Alan at ACG are top blokes, they both spent loads of time chatting about building basses, I picked up a load of tips. Cheers guys!

12. Wreck

Wreck

Jul 27, 2006
    Croatia
    Wreck Guitars
    ....how are you satisfied with that KentArmstrong, how does it work...?

13. Will we be getting some sound clips of this unit in action?

Very interesting!

14. RIM Basses

Aug 6, 2006
    Luton Town
    Sound clips will be soon, for now have a look at the Hollowman at the UK Bassday!

bassday021.

By the way it sound great and lots of people asked about it, we will be making the next one very soon. Its gonna be 4 strings from now on and it will be chrome plated also.

Cheers,

Robbie.