Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Road?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Anyone familiar with Road stuff? I remember seeing the stuff around, not that you see it anymore, but...

Does anyone know about/ use that stuff.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Made in the 1970s, I think in Kansas. Solid state, most models had two channels and graphic EQs.

3. Thanks!

Did they make mostly PA equipment or did they make bass/guitar amps as well? That was a WAY 70s logo!

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They made a full line of guitar and bass amps as well as PA.

5. I have a Raod 440 Bass. I recently made a thread about it. Heres what i said. Hello everyone,
    I bought an amp awhile ago and i was wondering if anyone else has heard of it. Its an amp from the 70's i belive, called Road 440 Bass. ITs a full stack and its about as tall as i am(im 6'5) I only use it at church because it's to big of a beast to carry around. It sounds great though, i wish i had two of them. I got it for 75 bucks which was a huge steal. I didnt work, and it only cost a few bucks to fix. So bascially i got this huge amp for under 100!!! Oh yeah and it sounds awesome!! Thats why i want another one. IT beats the amp i use to play live, and paid alot more for!!! Well if anyone has some input, it would be appreciated."
    So id really really like to get another, at least a head.
    Joe

6. Thanks for the post!

Like I said, I remember seeing the stuff around- in pictures and ads, don't recall actually seeing the stuff in person until recently...

FWIW.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A friend of mine used a "road weary" old 2x15 Road amp and it sounded quite good in the couple of clubs where I heard him.

This guy was not a "bassist" by any stretch of the imagination, nor could he even be considered a "bass player." But he played a cheap bass through the Road and sounded good if you don't mind a "root note party" on bass.

What I'm saying is that - it wasn't my friend's "ability" nor the borrowed, cheap, bass he was using........it was the borrowed Road amp that gave him a quite decent tone.