Rob Derhak (moe.)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by oysterbass, Feb 28, 2004.

1. oysterbass

Nov 14, 2003
    Hello there, just a little post to the moe. fans in the forum: I've recently discovered moe. and I'm loving Rob Derhak's bass playing. I'm a self-taught bassist looking to develop my technique and according to reviews on both and elsewhere some of Rob's basslines contain some impressive techniques including double thumbing and tapping. However, a moe. fan I may be - but I'm also English. Turns out people in England don't know who moe. are so nobody I've talked to can give me suggestions as to what songs to check out! This is where you come in, lucky volunteer. If anyone could provide me with the names of some moe. songs which contain basslines using the aforementioned techniques (or even just moe. songs with nifty little grooves) it would be much appreciated; and if there are any more songs like Timmy Tucker then I'm greatly looking forward to hearing them :D

Cheers for your time
    - Mr. Oysterbass
  2. Awesome! moe. is definitely one of my 3 favorite bands. You should check out Buster. It's a very easy bassline and it's a great song. Here's a website I find usefull for some moe. songs:

I hope you find this useful. Also, if you want a challenge try out my favorite song, Rebubula.
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Oh, you just HAD to go and mention Derhak, now didn't you? ;)

HUGE, longtime moe-ron here. Seen 'em a bunch and I have BOATLOADS of bootlegs. I recommend downloading their shows Here.

As for their official recordings. check out "Wormwood", "No Doy" and "Headseed" for Rob's best studio stuff.

They have 4 live CDs out: "L" and 3 of the "Warts and All" releases. ALL are worth checking out.

And "Buster" is an easy and fun bassline to play. For an easy slap line, check out "Timmy Tucker".