1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rob Trujillo Flamenco Guitar

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Barfly, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Man, this guy is so amazing! He was one of my fav's back with S.T. but holy smokin' poo! Can he play a mean Flamenco!
    :eek:

Absolutely the best muso in this band, IMO

2. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    Cool stuff. He just schooled two of the kings of Metal guitar on...guitar. That was really great.

3. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Damn, he's really good.

4. TheHegemon

TheHegemon

Feb 20, 2009
    Amarillo, TX
    Man that was sweet, even when James was playing it on electric. Be cool to see that on an album.

5. Lars just has this look on his face like... "oh, great, now the bass player IS officially more talented than I am..."

Damn drummers, so ego centric!!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Nice! Always knew Rob had a ton of talent, going back to the Infectious Grooves days.

7. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    Exactly. Rob was pretty much a perfect match for these guys. He has more talent than Lars will ever have, too, and with an awesome personality to boot :smug:

8. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Sep 3, 2006
    Cameron, NC USA
    C'mon guys...

He comes up with a simplistic riff that they mimic in 2 seconds, and that's called "schooling"?

I mean really... the riff was sorta cool, but damn.

:bag:

9. Unfortunately for Lars, he always looks like that. :D

He definitely must know he is and has always been the weak link as a musician in Metallica, though I can't say I'm too familiar with Ron McGovney's bass playing.

10. That riff or jam is what turned into All Nightmare Long on Death Magnetic i think. Its in the making of the album dvd.

11. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Too true. Never heard Ron McGovney's playing. They did ditch him basically as soon as they even saw Cliff play, though. Hmm.

12. Stone Age

Stone Age

Apr 13, 2008
    Connecticut
    Take a look at their faces...yeah it was.

13. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    Great Video, RT has always seemed to be more of a musician than a rock star. As far as schooling or simple riffs .... Sorry boys but this his how successful bands work and as simple riffs, could anyone who is talented enough to call flamenco simple, please record themselves throwing down & put up a link, cause I love it and can't play it worth a damn....:D

14. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    It sounds a lot like "The God That Failed" to me.

15. True, some of the best songs ever are written around simple chord structures and changes. You dont have to play everything like a talent competition to make good music.

I would also like to nominate Lars for possibly being the most over-rated drummer of all time. Especially from people who dont have any formal music playing experience.

16. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    I'll confirm the nominee :bag:

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Cool though. He is a talented guy for sure.

I loved Hammett's comment at the end of the clip.... "We hate you!"

18. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    You guys haven't heard a lot of Paco de Lucia huh? He would rock you up side down with his flamenco skills!

19. TheHegemon

TheHegemon

Feb 20, 2009
    Amarillo, TX
    I have not but I looked him up and man that guy is a badass. Thanks for pointing that out, I should look into taking some lessons to play that kind of stuff.

20. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, that ended up being in All Nightmare Long