1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rocktron gainiac 2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Crystalman85, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I'm not really a rackmount person, but there is something that I've been wondering for quite sometime. has anyone ever tried the rocktron gainiac 2 on bass? I am aware that it's a rackmount for guitar, but I wonder if anyone has ever tried it on bass. it sounded great on guitar and I'll bet it sounded pretty killer on bass. here's the link to the rackmount on rocktron's website.

http://www.rocktron.com/products/preamps/gainiac2/

What do you guys think?

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Anyone?

3. Hymenhammer666

Hymenhammer666

Apr 15, 2014
    It wasn't exactly smart, but I bought this online as a risk situation and I'm adding it to my chain. I'm only looking for some slight but adjustable distortion on my sound. I'm using a Markbass 800 watt tube series with the matching 6x10 cab. Have you tried since this post?

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    no I haven't. But ghsoffical once send me a message and told me that he would test it out on bass along with the rocktron pedals. He posted clips on rocktron pedals tested on bass and they sounded pretty cool. I do kinda wonder if rocktron pedals are under-rated. I don't know if ghsoffical has demoed the gainiac 2 on bass. I would like to check it out.

5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    Yeah, the short story is that we don't have one in the office, because it has been discontinued. It is, however, being replaced with the Widowmaker preamp in about a month, which is a pretty amazing sounding gain stage solid state preamp. That one I'll have in our demo room so I can easily run in the back and see/hear if a bass will sound good with it.