Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rodney Jones Chicago Mass Choir

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Davehenning, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I heard the Chicago Mass Choir on the radio tonight and was absolutely floored by the groove. Who is this Rodney Jones fellow on the low end?

There seems to be enough evidence to lead me to a sneaking suspiscion that the American Churches are quietly holding out on all the best players...... :)

2. There's an urban gospel station here in Atlanta that I listen to sometimes. I am continually floored by the live mass choir recordings that are played. The rhythm sections in those bands are so tight that it's ridiculous and the arranging is very creative. I'm not familiar with Rodney Jones, but I'm sure he's awesome.

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Rodney also plays on this christian tv show out of Chicago(I think it ETC) that you can catch late night or 2am on fridays here in the Tampa bay area.Lamont Lennox is the host but the house band which Rodney plays in plays with all the guest artist that is appearing on that night however, you can pretty much listen to him on most of Chicago Mass's later material

4. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    There's nothing like playing gospel music live-I enjoy it emensely because our arraingments are "off the hook" no matter what tune it is

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the info. Rodney has such a great sense of groove. The man certainly knows how to lay it down!