Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

roger waters of pink floyd

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FloydFreak500, Apr 6, 2005.

1. i know roger waters may not be the most skillful bassist out there, to say the least. but i just like his style, especially in the earlier psychodelic time of the floyd.
    any comments?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Roger (and David) have been a major influence on my playing. I've owned most everything any member of Floyd has released. Most of it on Vinyl, Cassette and CD. I was just listening to "Animals" last night. (actually just re queued it up... "Pigs on the Wing (Part 1)" is playing as I type).

He (they) have great feel. Live at Pompeii is one of my all time favorite live outings. I bought it on VHS in the 80s. I should grab the DVD of it! I always say all of them as the ultimate Rock band.

Actually.... in my High School Yearbook, under my senior shot in 1986 I had the quote "The child has grown, the dream is gone. I have become... Comfortably Numb"

:bassist: <- he might be playing "Echoes"

3. Actually, David Gilmour played quite a bit of the bass stuff for Pink Floyd. Nonetheless, I like Roger Waters stuff too so who cares....great band.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I really like Roger's playing around 1967, when they were still The Pink Floyd. Thr "Live in London '67" video is awesome, with lots of tight shots of his playing. And of course the 4001S looks great too.

5. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Waters is a great bassist imo, and can lay down an awesome groove in amongst the psychadelia. Echoes live in Pompeii is amazing for example.

Plus, he came up with the Money riff. That's as great a fame to claim as coming up with Smoke On The Water :p

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

i think the "gilmour era" started after DSOTM

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Water's is one of my main influences. Floyd is cool. What else needs to be said?

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...Floyd RULES...the end...

~S~

PS: I remeber to this DAY, listening to "Breathe/On the Run" for the first time on my Uncles "super hi-fi Fischer system" in his room...it blew me away...

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
  10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I got into Floyd in the mid-70's when I was in high school. My school had a planetarium and I took "Astro-Science" so it was my classroom. It was a round room with nice comfy lounge chairs and speakers all 'round the room. The teacher would play DSOTM before class, with the lights down and the stars up. It was very cool and I became an instant fan.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's awesome!

I really liked some of the interesting "sounds" that Waters did, like when he would scrap the strings against his Rickenbacker's pickups.

12. Waters is definitly one of my main influences. I think all bassists should check him out, hes a great bassist and an excellent song writer.