Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rulyøngo, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Just to let you guys know how happy I am to see Roger Waters again playing with Pink Floyd... I just wish they stay together... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  2. I'll 2nd that!
  3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I really doubt it, I think the bitterness between those two is far too big to overcome in a couple of days. If you watched Live8 you could see Waters making gestures at Gilmour, like he was saying "isn't it great to be back again" but all Gilmour seemed to do was give an icy look back...

really sad
  4. Seigi

Jul 3, 2005
    True. Gilmour did give a smile during Wish You Were Here, though. It's possible that he really wants this reunion deep down, but he's just too nervous to do so because of what happened between them. It's possible that it will stick, though.
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Rogers little nod to Syd was worth putting up with MTV and VH1 for a while. I can't believe they cut away from them like they did - and Stevie Wonder got like no airtime compared to say... Jay Z :meh:
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Nice to see PF back.
    Roger looked like he hasn't played a bass in years.
    Kind of sad?
  7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm not a huge PF fan, but I like some stuff. I didn't watch the whole show, but I thought their performance was one of the better segments. Many other "top acts" sucked.

It just reinforces to me that many new groups suck. They are so artificial. Hand picked, slick, marketed, performing music written by the same 2 or 3 people. They don't know how to really perform, they didn't have to "pay their dues" in the same way, and they lack "soul" for lack of a better term.

It's sad that people like Stevie Wonder didn't get more time. Obviously, the producers feel that Jay Z is worth more. How sad for all of us.
  8. Steve,

I agree with everything you've said.

This is amazing:

Grrr..... :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

One would think that some of their "generated revenue" would go towards global relief efforts.

The music industry is not about paying dues or possessing any type of ability whatsoever. Sad.

9. spidjod

Dec 21, 2004
    Heres a little present for you all, some pictures I took of pink floyd from the crowd:
  10. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    The little reunion was amazing... like someone else said, worth putting up with MTV for. And i got to hear it again on the radio about an hour later, in full! :)

Whats the whole story between Gilmour and Waters? I knew about the rift between them but never knew why.

Roger put on a great live show about 5 years ago... dare i say on par with Pink Floyd in '94, with a scaled-down production. Nothing beats them together though!
  11. His fingers looked really shaky when he was playing fingerstyle. But his playing was spot on. Except for when he stopped playing to motion to the crowd and stuff. :D
  12. Chiba

Mar 11, 2005
    You're *surprised* to see Jay-Z get more coverage on **MTV** than Stevie Wonder?

Man...I wasn't, but then again, I regularly read 'Duh!' magazine.

I, and I may be in the minority here, hope Pink Floyd stays broken up. Yeah, it was nice to see them on stage together BRIEFLY for a good cause (or an allegedly good cause, anyway) but I'd hate for them to become just another band that reunites to make a pissload of money and become/remain irrelevant.

Pink Floyd is - to me - still a very relevant band musically. If they get back together'd just be for the money, which I'm sure none of them really needs.

It wasn't just a rift between Gilmour & Waters that drove them apart, it was Waters' whole attitude towards Gilmour, Mason, and Wright. Waters didn't want to be in a band, he wanted to be a creative leviathan and have everybody do what they were told. That would grate on my nerves after a while too.

13. Anyone see the inerview with Gilmour, I think the day after the Live8 gig?

When asked how hae had found the experience, he replied that it was "liking sleeping with your ex-wife"!! :eek: :eek:

No imminent reconciliation there then. :meh: :meh:
  14. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    Hmm.. Kinda why Donald Fagen and Walter Becker split ways... And I don't think they are back together for the money. I can think of alot of bands that go through this sort of growing pain. Steely Dan, Duran Duran, The Cure.. those come to mind atm primarily since I am working on songs from those bands.
  15. I think the Fagen/Becker split was primarily down to Becker's heavy drug dependence at the time and his resulting unreliability recording/writing-wise.

I too have been involved with 'Dan and Floyd material for a number of years now. Fun isn't it? :D :D
  16. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL

Loads... Chuck layed down some funky.. yet simple lines... I'm into SD heavy... actually I have always been into SD.. just moreso as a bassist than a listener.

Here is a snippet from a Donald Fagen interview regarding "Gaucho":

"At the same time we were very depressed, and I think you can hear it in some of the tunes... I very much wanted to do something of my own that reflected what I was experiencing separately from Walter. We felt we should take a break from each other. We were both not in the greatest shape at the time."

We were both right? It doesn't matter. Time to play some "Josie" and "Home At Last"...

17. dbaser:

Let's hope the time they've been spending in the studio recently result in a release of some sort- sooner rather than later. ;) ;)
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you could see that he feels there is no way he needs Roger...:meh:

So - Gilmour's singing and playing was immaculate - but Roger was really struggling with the bass line to Money and his vocals were hoarse and shakey - he would just be a liability for the band and they have much better bass players they can call on - like Guy Pratt, who is rock solid!
  19. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I also think that PF is a much better band with Guy Pratt.

Roger's performance in money was not good at all. Maybe it was nervousness I don't know.
  20. Agreed. :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh:

What a coincidence that the footage BBC showd immediately before the PF set was of Roxy Music doing Love Is The Drug with one Guy Pratt on Bass. :D :D