1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roland Cube 100

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chuck M, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Has anyone tried the Roland Cube 100 with DB?

Chuck

2. The old combo?
    I had a 60 and it wasn't bad, although somewhat "boxy" sounding.

The 100 was better IMO.

3. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
  4. i own one, i like it alot. it has some pretty useful sounds, really easy to dial in. it also has alot of great features, like the D.I. the tuner out, the speaker ext. out. i actualy use it to record. ive mic'd it and have gotten some great sounds. all in all its great for what it is.the effects are good and they are footswitchable wich is nice.and the amp modeling is actually pretty good. will lee uses one. but is limited in that it only is 100 watts. i play in a 2 guitar band and have a loud drummer so i have to have another amp. but if you play in say..a jazz combo or a small venue then it is unbeatable. i mainly use mine for practicing or recording. i wish it had an aux in though to hook up a drum machine or cd or mp3 player.hope that helps.

matt

edit. sorry i see you wanted to know for double bass. i would think that it would work great w/ the super flat amp setting wich i used for acoustic bass.

5. I have not played one, but I recently heard the bass player with the Southeast NAvy Jazz Combo play his bass through one in a high school cafe. Sounded pretty good in the acoustic battle zone.

6. Deltree

Deltree

Feb 7, 2005
    I use one with DB, and find it great for the money. Reasonably small, light and robust, and plenty loud enough for the type of gigs you'd want an amp of its size to cover. I can happily play it flattish with EB, and find it sounds especially good with DB when I use a preamp. It's not an amp you really worry about.

The post-effects out (whatever they call it) is a bit hissy and digital sounding for me, but I doubt you'll use it much with double bass, and the DI itself (which is pre-everything, obviously) is great. Nice and hot, better than a lot of cheap, small combos.

At least 3 other bassists in town have bought cubes after playing mine, very useful kit. I take mine out to piano gigs too.

The only possible issue is the way it handles extension cabinets. I think the general consensus is that you shouldn't expect too much more volume, but it might do away with some of the 'boxiness', of which there really isn't tons, considering it IS quite a small a box :)

7. I've been using it with DB in big band past two years--mainly because before that I was playing bass guitar in the band, as well as church orchestra and I really liked the Cube 100. When I switched over to upright, put all my cash into the bass, the setup, pickups, preamps, new strings, etc., etc., etc. so just stayed with the Cube 100. I don't use any of the effects, though, except occasionaly just a little reverb to make the sound more open; also added an SWR 100 watt 1x10 cab--no more power or volume, but definitely opens up the sound and gives a cleaner low end. I use the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp and the two pieces make for pretty good amplification. I've tried the BP-100, the K&K twinspot, the K&K double big twin, the Bassmax and the Revolution Solo II--the BP-100 gets the best and most controlled sound for my set up, although the K & K Twinspot makes a pretty good sound too.

8. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thanks for all the replies.

I decided to stay with my Eden WT-300 and bought an Aguilar GS112 which is 13 pounds lighter than the SWR Goliath III,jr. I was using previously. The 112 is a great sounding cabinet, however, I have been using a trick suggested by one of my friends in Europe.

The GS112 has ports on the side of the cabinet. You can control the tone of the cabinet by setting the cab so that the ports are off the floor (cleans up the lows for upright) or down if you need more bass. The cab has a good overall tone for electric bass when it is sitting on its bottom.

Chuck

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021