Rolls Red Square

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MODELL, Mar 30, 2004.

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Anyone currently using 1 of these? I did a search and didn't find any recent users. I would like a 'colored' DI and wonder why this is so much cheaper then the MXR, Sans Amp or Apex models. I'm not even sure what the exciter will do to the direct signal to the PA.

2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Got one of these--I like it---but I hardly ever use it for anything. I keep it in my gig bag as a back-up DI in case my amp ever fails on a gig.

I've also used it for my "minimalist" rig, in which I plug my bass into the Red Square, and then run that straight into a power amp. Works and sounds great.

Other than those two applications, it makes for a nice conversation piece!!
  3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have one, and I really like it... i used it kfor a while when I had a rig that only had an unbalenced 1/4" out, and it always sounded good... I still use it, but only for recording ocasionaly...

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have a Red Square. Currently I'm using it as a volume control for my monitor. I'm using a SABDDI for tone-shaping, running the XLR to the board, and running the 1/4" out to the Red Square, and from there to the line in of my practice amp that I'm using for a monitor. That way, I can control my monitor volume separately from the signal that goes to the board. The "enhancer" function seems to me to sound like an active bass and presence control. I don't really use it. The "process" control can get a bit hissy.

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the replies. I think the enhancer may help if I just go direct into a small PA for an acoustic duo. (I use a Jazz bass for these gigs)