1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ron Carter, 1966

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by John Goldsby, Nov 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Here's Mr. Carter in 1966 with Mel Lewis, Joe Zawinul, Cannonball Adderley, Art Farmer. Ron does his thing on the blues @4:00 (first in Bb, then B, C, and F before going into double-stop land). Great Mel Lewis & swinging solo from Joe Zawinul!

2. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Outstanding!

3. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    And he's not playing his bass, and yet he sounds exactly like himself

dhm, oliebrice and John Goldsby like this.
  4. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Columnist — BassMagazine.com, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    What do you think, Mike? Are these steel strings? 1966 . . .

5. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    I think yes, how about you?

6. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Sure - I'm not afraid of derailing a topic! Hey, it's the MUSIC forum.
    JZ sounds beautiful here, at this time, in this style & context, with these masterful players. He could have stayed there and continued to flourish. IMO.

But he didn't, and I wonder how much of an internal (artistic?) struggle there was before he moved on? (I wonder if it was like a divorce, of sorts...did his former peers, above, accept his moving on?)
    (He must have had a great therapist!)...because 5 years later, in 1971, he had MOVED ON - hook, line & sinker (hear below)...It's always mind-blowing to me how there could be this much music & genius in one person.
    Also - Yeah, sounds like steel strings.
    Thanks. Now back to your....

Evert, Selim and Tom Lane like this.
  7. I think they're the legendary steel Lycon strings, mainly because I know that sound and during this period almost every good jazz bassist besides diehard gut users like Charlie Haden were in love with them, including me.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  8. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    I have this same clip but mine is a couple of minutes longer. That's the good news, the bad news is there's an increasingly louder distortion through most of it. Even with that I'll try to get it up on YouTube and post it here

9. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014

dhm, Selim, lrhbass and 1 other person like this.
  10. John Goldsby

Mar 4, 2003
    Thanks, Michael . . . nice to see the whole clip. Yeah, Paul — I think those must be Lycon strings. They sound nice, I guess because it's a mic sound — no direct.

Don: I know what you mean. Some players refine their style over years and years, and others like JZ just keep evolving, or devolving depending on the taste of the listener. I love his Weather Report and Syndicate work, but I always wondered "what if" he had kept playing piano, or at least dabbled in the acoustic side of things in his later years.

He worked with the WDR Big Band a few times in his later years, but he always brought his own rhythm sections (Victor Bailey, Linley Marthe), so I never got to play with him.

11. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Maybe some Pre-Weather Report experimentation by JZ?
    Sorry...

Tom Lane likes this.
  12. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I am glad he moved on. Wouldn't have wanted to miss his later electric stuff.....
    It's a more unique and a more personal style I think.

13. BassKozmo

BassKozmo

Apr 20, 2018
    Hey guys, maybe off topic but does somebodey of you have a CD All Alone, a solo CD of Ron Carter? A can´t get it anywhere...
    Thx.for help!

14. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Funny thing, I had a copy and gave it away. I thought it was awful. Here's a place that seems to have one:
    Ron Carter : All Alone (CD)

BassKozmo and Don Kasper like this.
  15. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Great stuff, I especially like the part where Mel gesticulates someone to be quiet during RC's solo. Thanks for sharing @John Goldsby .

John Goldsby and Lee Moses like this.