Room booms on low G only- EQ help

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by krfoss, Sep 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I've noticed a problem with the sound in my church. When I play a low G, i.e. third fret on my E string, the room BOOMS like crazy. It happens like this on no other note.

How can I reduce the bass response on just this note? Do I need a notch filter, a parametric EQ, compression? What would you all recommend other than "just play lighter on that G."

By the way, this happens with my electric and upright on the same g note played on my E string.

Thanks!

2. Parametric. A notch is an extreme parametric, probably either would do. Hum the note fundamental as you hear it back from the room. This may be an octave above your low G or the low G itself. 98 or 49hz.

For such a strong singular boom it's likely some dimension of your room is an exact enough half a wavelength across of either the fundamental or 1st harmonic. Floor to ceiling 3.5m or across 7m by any chance?

Geri O likes this.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Your amp placement may also have an impact... if you are in a corner, try getting out of it...

One bar I play has the same thing going on. G just booms. I cut 50, 100, 200 and 250 on the mains eq of the PA. I also slightly cut the bass control on my GK head. If I'm running my Passinwind head, it has a single band parametric which I apply as described above. That cleans thing up nicely. This is not a real loud room and even so that G just wants to go...

4. Downunderwonder likes this.
  5. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    That's a really good idea. I play regularly at a road house here that has a corner stage with a low ceiling over it and hav a huge problem with several notes/frequencies. When another guy is playing bass (it's an open mic thing) and I'm listening in the audience I don't hear it. So, yeah, take a listen from the room.

6. Feedback OP?

7. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    No feedback, just a more overwhelming response compared to other notes. It also is more prevalent the fewer people are playing. I assume this is due to competing and canceling frequencies.

8. Same thing happens at my church, same note. Notch that frequency and octaves if needed on your channel . Don't forget about any other instruments. Keys and guitars. A little cut on each channel as opposed to a big cut on yours may work better. It may be all those g notes stacking up in the room.

9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I use an Empress ParaEQ. Not fully parametric as the Q isn't infinitely variable but is in three ranges; narrow, medium and wide. Great pedal. Not cheap though. My acoustic bass guitars both have a tendency to "bloom" on certain notes. It effectively remedies that.

10. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    Try parametric EQ, as mentioned above. You might need a lot of bands to control the harmonic G's, too... Be aware that EQ does not really fix the issue. Though it might help with the symptoms SOMEWHAT, there will also be side-effects to it. Generally speaking, bad acoustics can not be treated with EQ,

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021