rope tailpiece cords??

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassdogEmer, Dec 27, 2005.

1. bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    I saw a bass with what looked to be a tailpiece cord made out of Rope. I know VELVET makes a new kind of tailpiece cords - is this the rope one?? anyone know anything about these- the ups and downs of them?? how much does this really affect the feel and sound of your instrument... any and all comments welcome
  2. flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    get one from Mike Pecanic...on my computer the add for his site is just to the left of this window. They Do make a difference. Mikes and the Velvet are the same except for the price. Hey if you dont like it its only $10. I don't know but I like it better then having braided steel.
  3. mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    I have a Pecanic TP with a rope cord. I don't know if it's the TP or the cord, but the tension feels a touch lower.

Just watch the knot when changing strings, it wants to come untied when not under full tension.
  4. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I noticed on my Strunal they used what looks like "coat hanger" wire from the end pin to the tailpiece.

I know I need to replace it.

I'll check out the MP site.

Is this something you can do yourself or would I need to take it to somebody?

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    You can do it yourself if you know how to handle the soundpost so that it doesn't fall down and/or you can set it again if it does.

You also need to be able to tie the appropriate knot and get the length right.
  6. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA

Some guys are discussing the knot in this thread. Chasarms gives a link in post #11 to a picture of the knot. I haven't tried it, but these guys seem to know what they're talking about. +1 on what Adrain said.

Plus you see what could happen if it isn't properly maintained...scary/silly stuff!
  7. hirort

May 17, 2003
    Yokohama, Japan
    I bought a Velvet tailpiece cord and changed it by myself more than a year ago. No problem with it so far. Actually, after a couple of months, I retied it to shorten the length.
    I used knots Velvet recommended (an instruction sheet came with a cord). I think it is the same as in the above Chasarms' link.
    While changing the tailpiece cords, I put a wooden block with soft cloth under the fingerboard to avoid soundpost falling down.

My bass sounds better with Velvet cord to me (formerly it was a coat hanger type).