1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Roscoe Century Signature 5 Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jweiss, Jan 18, 2017.

1. jweiss

jweiss

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    1/22/17 - changed my mind about selling this bass, going to keep it.

2008 Roscoe Century Signature Lined Fretless, 5 String
    34" scale, 19 mm string spacing
    Highly figured Redwood top with matching headstock
    Alder body, with layers of two other woods between body and Redwood top
    Lined Diamondwood fingerboard
    3-piece neck, quarter sawn Maple outer sections and quarter sawn Purpleheart center
    Bartolini pickups
    Bartolini 3-band preamp
    Roscoe padded 2-bass gig bag
    9.0 lbs on the bathroom scale

This beautiful custom 5 string Roscoe fretless bass has a number of unique, highly desirable features. First, the scale is 34" and the string spacing is 19 mm at the bridge and the nut is 1 7/8". The knobs are layed out in a 5-knob configuration (rather than the stacked bass/treble) - volume, pickup blend, bass, mid, treble. Finally, the pickups are configured in the 60's Fender Jazz locations instead of the usual Roscoe locations.

The playability of this bass is incredible...there is no other Roscoe out there like this one!

The tone is classic Roscoe (punchy, clear, "p-bass on steriods"), perhaps slightly warmer than your average Roscoe, plus the typical fretless sound.

I purchased this bass in 2008 as my first fretless instrument, planning to use it to play jazz. I subsequently purchased a Rob Allen and never looked back. Since then this bass has seen very little play time. I think I have played it a total of 50 times and gigged it 3 times. So it is well past time to get this bass to someone who will use it.

It is in excellent condition (9/10). There is one small ding in the clear resin on the side of the horn where it appears that it fell over.

Bass is currently strung EADGC with Thomastik-Infeld nickel flat wound roundcores. I will also include a minty set of Rotosounds(?) BEADG that came directly from Roscoe.

Price includes shipping to continental U.S. addresses with insurance.

The ONLY trades that I am interested in are high-end 5 string fretted basses that are 34" scale, and a fretless FBass AC-5. I would love to find a MTD 534, or a Roscoe 34" fretted (yeah I know...).

P1160475.JPG P1160472.JPG

View attachment 1033955 P1160459.JPG

P1160457.JPG P1160458.JPG

P1160465.JPG P1160466.JPG

IMG_5770. IMG_5775.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    JOME77, mikezimmerman and The Eristic like this.
  2. Hey, maybe this is a stupid question, but if you're looking to find a Roscoe 5'er with 34" scale, why don't you just have frets put in this one? Problem solved! Great looking bass BTW.

3. jweiss

jweiss

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Thanks for your compliment about the bass :) I actually emailed Gard at Roscoe about the feasibility of modifying / replacing the neck about a week ago, but I haven't heard back yet. I might consider it if the the price is reasonable. I have to think that removing the steel markers embedded in the fingerboard, replacing them with frets, adjusting/replacing the nut, etc. would be a very labor intensive job.

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    My understanding is that they really don't like doing fretted Diamondwood boards even on new basses. I suspect you're right that fretting an existing lined fretless Diamondwood board would be something they'd be reluctant to take on.

jweiss likes this.
  5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The markers are aluminum.

6. Sorry, didn't know the markers are aluminum. That does complicate things... I recently had a fretless bass with brass fret lines (epoxied!) converted to fretted. The luthier did not enjoy the job, and told me how much of a pain it was, but it wasn't that expensive. Totally worth it for me. Anyhow, sorry for the de-rail. I love my Roscoe BTW and Keith is great to deal with! GLWTS!

jweiss likes this.