1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe LG headless 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doc Mojo, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Doc Mojo

Doc Mojo

Oct 29, 2014
    Ohio
  2. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    It's totally in line with the new fixed pricing of Roscoe's (and Roscoe's IMO are still one of the best deals out there compared to the pricing of new Fodera's & Zon's). Of course the best deal out there is to buy a Roscoe used. Awesome bang for the buck.

.... but if headless is your thing, you'll not likely find a headless Roscoe in the used market (I think the only other one is the 1st proto-type and it's flying the friendly skies and not likely for sale). :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

That's Greg's at Rocket Music. Not the first one/prototype. I think they look great - especially if you are into headless. And yes, Roscoe is the best value in an American made bass out there right now - especially used. Unfortunately, I never found exactly what I wanted used so I have 2 "custom ordered" Roscoes.

4. Doc Mojo

Doc Mojo

Oct 29, 2014
    Ohio
    It's a beautiful bass and I would like a headless bass. I'm not getting into the new Steinbergers and I really don't want to order something from overseas.

5. Nope, that's not the first or prototype headless - it's actually the 5th one we made, and there are now several others "behind" it - including Standards and Standard Pluses. Here's an example we sent to the NAMM show recently:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...already sold, sorry! ;)

Burwabit and emjazz like this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dang those are pure awesome!

7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Gard, what will be the upcharge for the headless option on the S/S+ basses? Also, could you get a close up of the "headstock" end? That design allows for both double-ball end strings and standard strings right?

8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I'm not Gard and I can't help you on pricing, but he has mentioned before that they source their headless bits from Hipshot and they have a bunch of photographs and product information on their site...

9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I've checked the hipshot site, but it doesn't explain how it works when using standard strings. I'd just assume it's like a floyd rose set-up with a locking system, but I'd like to get the specifics from Gard.

10. The upcharge for all models to be made in the HL (headless) version is $750. You can use non-double-ball-end strings, it's a bit tweeky, but it comes with the tools and instructions (you can actually download everything on the Hipshot site: http://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/headless_instructions.pdf ). I'll try to get a photo of the "business end" of the neck tomorrow. :thumbsup:

11. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    :facepalm: somehow I missed that on the hipshot website.
    Thanks Gard!

Gard likes this.
  12. ...ask and ye shall receive...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dedpool1052 likes this.
  13. SteveC

Nice pics...

14. ...eh, the 3rd & 4th are a bit less clear than I'd like, but they got the idea across. ;)

dedpool1052 likes this.
  15. SteveC

Got any others...;)

16. Nope, fresh out of photos.

;)

17. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    :thumbsup: Thanks Gard!
    It looks like the full diameter of the B & E is going into the holes where the set-screw is.
    Gard, did that cause any issues in locking it in? and how is the tuning stability compared to the headed basses?

18. Happy to help out!

Yes, the hole is big enough to accommodate the full diameter of even the B string (which in this case is a .125). Locks right in, minimum hassle - frankly once you do it a couple times, the entire procedure is no more difficult than a standard restringing. Stability? Rock solid - that bass up there went from here to the NAMM show and back and was still perfectly in tune, according to the folks that had it on display, they didn't touch the tuners on it. Probably more reliable than the standard paddle headstock and tuners arrangement, if you ask me. :cool:

pellomoco14 and dedpool1052 like this.
  19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Crap. I'm gonna end up having to talk to Greg about one of these......

20. SteveC

They look really cool.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021