Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rough neck..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dtx3000, Oct 29, 2004.

1. dtx3000

dtx3000

Oct 29, 2004
    just bought a schecter c-4 bass...my 2nd...love it! it's great. but - one minor problem. on the back of the neck theres a bunch of rough ish bump spots. how can i buff those down? (looking for a cheap, non destructive way of doing this.)
    thanks!

2. I'd suggest just sanding them out as best you can. You'll have to refinish, of course. I like the tung oil, myself.

3. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Are the bumps in the finish or are they part of the wood? If you are going to sand, use a very, very fine sandpaper. But I would recommend using #0000 steel wool if the bumps are just in the finish. Don't laugh. This stuff is very fine and gives a very smooth sheen to your finish. I personally use it on all the bass finish work that I do. But you have to make sure you get the right stuff. Typical steel wool is too rough. Make sure the package says #0000. As far as costs go, you can pick up a package that should last you a lifetime for about $3 at any major hardware store. Good luck!

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1

If the #0000 steel wool doesn't remove enough surface you can also use #600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper in that progression and polish the neck out with Stew-Mac #4 polishing Compound.

5. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Good call on the sandpaper. I would second that progression. Just remember, go with the grain (up and down the neck) and don't apply too much pressure. Keep it moving and don't concentrate in one place. You don't want to create any high/low spots. Hopefully you won't have to resort to using the paper. The steel wool sure leaves a nice feel if the bumps are only surface. Good luck!

6. 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper will give you a lovely smooth finish, and is a non-destructive way to smooth out your neck.

Bought a cheap strat copy last week to play with, and the neck finish was awful.

After some rubbing with 1200 grit, it feels like a million bucks :hyper: