Rounds for P Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FugaziBomb, Aug 21, 2017.

1. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I have a parts P-Bass with a Dimarzio Split P that I am currently using DR Sunbeams on. I'm planning on restringing it soon, since the strings are getting a little more mellow than I like. I was just going to string it up with Sunbeams again, as I liked the tone of them well enough, but I figured before ordering another set, I'd see what the talk bass community thinks.

The pick-ups are designed to even out the mid hump typical of p-basses. I wouldn't call the tone scooped, but there is definitely upper sizzle present that can get a little clanky with bright steel strings. I want to go with nickel because of this, but I do not want to want to lose too much high end content. Best description I can think of would be "piano" like tone, but I am weary of strings that advertise this because the combination of bright strings and brighter pick-ups may be overkill. Any suggestions?

2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I really like Fender 7250ML strings. Stainless strings die quickly for me, but these keep their clarity for a while. I have them on a number of basses, but my favourite is the MiM Precision. Just seem right together.

DD Gunz, jmhaslip, Pbassmanca and 3 others like this.
  3. If you like the tone and feel of the Sunbeams, you're better off sticking with them as they have certain qualities that are unique to them, such as the round-core flexibility and suppleness and smoother-than-average surface texture.

P-oddz and xroads like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Rotosound Swing strings sound great on a P.

5. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    They really did resonate with me (pun) and they are definitely a top choice. They really nail that piano tone I'm looking for.

I am using them on a cheap Washburn XB-100 loaded with a SD "Hot for P" (really mid heavy) and am not feeling it. The top end is cutting through, but I'm not getting a lot of the high mids I often crave. Rotos work well for my two T-40s and a Jazz Bass I converted to dual MM Humbuckers, though. I think I may have started the mother of all YMMV threads...

6. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Thumb n Fingers and Linnin like this.
  7. While you're considering the Boomers, you might also want to look at the Round Core Boomers. They're not quite as flexible as the Sunbeams and their tone is more low-mid focused but they're a nice alternative to the regular hex-core Boomers.

oren and FugaziBomb like this.
  8. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    For nickel strings, I’ve been using D’Addario XL165s for a couple of years now on both of my Precision basses.

DD Gunz, Element Zero and jhb138 like this.
  9. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Having tried most of these mentioned, there is still nothing like Sunbeams! If you want growl, then the DR Jonas Hellborg Rounds. All fundamental without many harmonic tones. Pure nickel, single wrapped on a round core. Deep, clear and growly...no clank or zing.

Pbassmanca and FugaziBomb like this.
  10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Thumb n Fingers and Linnin like this.
  11. Gideon352

Gideon352

Oct 17, 2003
    Gainesville, FL
    The Dunlop Super Brights sound to me like what you're after. Same piano-like timbre with more crunch in the upper mid range. :bassist:

12. I use these on my P's. They last, they respond, and sound good through different genres. dean Markley BS.jpg

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Yep. My first choice for years though I recently found that I could get Sfarzo strings again. They're fantastic. Just put their V strings on both my working basses and can't wait to do a show with them. Again. I used them for years and went to Markley Cryos when I couldn't get Sfarzos. Highly recommend either but you should really give the Sfarzos a try.

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Everyone should try a set of Roto 66s at least once. I just can't afford to replace them every few weeks.

zon6c-f, Rickter, 40Hz and 1 other person like this.
  15. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Rotosound Swing Bass 66 Nickels on Oly white... Roto Swing Bass 66 Stainless Steel on Black(ie)... just enough difference to give some 'softness' (nickels), when needed, but similar enough (feel) to keep my fingers comfortable!

IMG_0315.JPG

16. nocalkind

nocalkind

Jan 22, 2016
    DR Lo-Riders. I use the stainless, but they also come in nickel.

pbass2 and Pedal2DaMeddle like this.
  17. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I been try D'addario EXL 170 on my pbass, but it just sound metalic compare to stock Fender 7250ML . And EXL 170 dint have sweet lo-mid that found on 7250.

Back to Topic, i suggest DR Lorider Stainless round to get Piano-like tone.

18. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I dig the Fender 7250s as well. They are an all around solid string for tone, cost, and longevity.

Pbassmanca and Thumb n Fingers like this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Dunlop Super Bright Nickels are exactly that.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021