1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rounds On A P-Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ron G, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    Last month I put rounds on one my basses I didn't play it a lot, well the other day I started playing it again and did it sound funny I adjusted my amp (Eq and style switch) with no luck looked down rounds. I must say back to flats.

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Rounds shine on a P in a band setting, I love a set of Roto 66 on my P/J. It's great that we have choices.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I love rounds on a P, much more than flats actually.

4. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    I use chromes on a PJ, kind of best of both worlds.

5. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Can relate to the OP's sentiments.

I've had a set of flats on my Precision since I bought it (La Bellas) and it's been exactly what I'm looking for in a P-Bass tone. Swapped them onto my CV 50s P-Bass to see how it went, and now that bass sounds even more amazing.

But, I now really don't like the sound of my other Precision with rounds on. The overtones swamp the fundamental it sounds so thin and harsh. I'm fine with rounds (Foderas) on my Warwick, but the Precision just sounds...... cheap. No 'oompf' at all, as if the fundamental has been dialed out.

6. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    Flats for thump, rounds for grind. All good!

7. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    I have rounds on my jazz and pj, thats why put them on my P.

8. I've used Flats and rounds, and Rounds just give more of the P-bass sound to me...

I had RotoSound flats and they were a good string, maybe a bit easier on the fingers than rounds, but tonally they were...well, flat sounding. Really thumpy, but had little to no real highs.

To each their own, I guess.

9. I generally use rounds on a P, and roll back the tone knob until I hear what I like. Exactly how much that is depends on the age of the strings, room acoustics, and which set of cabs I'm using at the moment. Tapewounds accomplish almost the same effect.

10. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    My two favorite bass sounds: P with rounds (think Entwistle at Leeds) and P with flats (think Jamerson).

11. I've got rounds on my P. I've never tried flats though.

12. I use Roto 66s on mine. I've been curious to try flats.

Do any of you flats players use effects?

13. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    Just some mild compression.

14. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I have a telebass... Tried flats - chromes and roto 77's - both fantastic.

You might love the flat + P sound. It's got a looooot of fans! :bassist:

15. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    Rounds for the jazz bass, flats for the pbass.
    Works for me.

16. Plunger, how did you like the flats on the tele? I've been thinking of getting me something with a humbucker and are curious how "low" and "meaty" it would be with flats. :D

To the OP: I have GHS Super Steels (loud, bright, sustainnnnnn) on my Squier Jag and I run the P 90% of the time, I think the tone is great, very bright, but I still think that flats is where it's ats. Love that sound, but it's not as versatile as rounds, imo.

17. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    Roto nickels on 1 Precision and Roto steels on another - lovin it...

18. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I put a set of DR sunbeams on my P bass and liked the sound - had them on for a week and put my Chromes back on.

19. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    I had flats on all my basses [GHS Precision Flatwounds 45-95 and 45-126 on my 5]. Now I have rounds on the 5 and PJ.

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Good for you ...

I hate flats ...