1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roundwounds for Fender American Precision Deluxe

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pschelfh, Mar 27, 2009.

1. pschelfh

pschelfh

Dec 26, 2007
    Belgium
    I've never really cared about the sound of strings until now :

A few months ago I bought a new Fender P American Deluxe. I absolutely loved the growly aggresive sound. But a few weeks ago I had to put new strings on it and it seems to have lost the 'growl'. I first thought this was because they were new, but I already did some concerts with it and still no growl.

I always used D'Addario nickel wounds EXL160 for my other basses, but with the Fender P, I don't really like their sound, still aggresive but no growl.

Can someone recommend some 'growly' roundwounds?
    Or does someone know what strings Fender puts on their new P basses when they come from the factory?

Thanks,
    Peter.

2. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

Feb 25, 2009
    I personally use Ernie Ball Super Slinky's. They have a bit of a higher tone than you may be looking for, but get a slight rattle against the frets (is that what you meant by growl?). They're cheap, but wear out after a couple of months. If you're a slapper they have a particularly nice pop to them.

3. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Fender stock strings are nickel 8250 45 to 110 for string thru with a taper E. If you want growly Rotosound Stainless Swing. Another good string is the DR Hi-Beams Stainless

4. pschelfh

pschelfh

Dec 26, 2007
    Belgium
    Thanks for the tips! Hope I can find the Fender strings here in Belgium.

The 'growl' is the mid tone of the Fender P, I guess. I have no other bass that comes close (Fender J, MusicMan and a couple of Ibanez basses).

I did get close again with my D'Addario strings on a gig last saturday, just had to turn down the bass a bit on my amp.

Peter.