1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rout neck pocket, or neck heel?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hoover, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    As mentioned in an older thread
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385355
    I have a Warmoth neck & body that have non-standard neck pocket dimensions (i.e., the size of the neck pocket & the neck heel do not conform to standard Fender specifications, and hence also don't conform to Warmoth, USAGuitars, AllParts, MightyMite, etc. dimensions).

It turns out to be one of Warmoth's older "Wide 5's", with heel dimensions that are ~3.8125" x 2.625". Standard Fender dims are ostensibly 3.875" x 2.5".

About a year ago I had Michael Dolan build me a custom neck to fit that body, and that wound up being an excellent solution. But I've still got that original Wide 5 neck lying around, just begging to be built up into a new bass. Calling to me. Pleading.

Assuming I don't want to have to commision a luthier to build me a whole new body just to accomodate this neck with its non-standard heel dimensions (although that's certainly an option I'm entertaining), if I were to buy an off-the-shelf body from one of the aforementioned parts companies, which is the better solution:

- Rout the neck pocket on the body just slightly larger to accomodate this neck as-is? or
    - Rout the neck heel just slightly smaller to fit a standard body's pocket?

Since I don't own a router and am incompetant with power tools I'll probably still hire a luthier to do the work, I just want to get an idea of which approach would be more practical.

Thanks.

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    depends on which part (the neck or the new body) you want to be more "marketable"...if you plan on someday chaning up necks on a new body, I would personally modify the neck heel.

It's a bottom following bearing bit with a .03" larger bit diameter, and about 5 minutes of your time (4 of which spent steadying the neck so it doesn't rock when you rout it.

Just measure the depth of the pocket, and make the depth of your cut a smidge *taller* than that so it all fits...mark the sides of the heel so you don't modify too much of the profile.

Just a thought. Others might scoff, but imo, it makes BOTH parts more serviceable / "standard"...

3. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    I will rout the neck heel. Why? Because if it breaks or shows any problem with the truss rod I can change the neck. Easier to repair. My 2 cents.