Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Router help needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Jun 6, 2005.

1. So my mom's friend gave me her Belkin 802.11b wireless router. I plug the cable modem into the Internet port on the router and my computer into the #1 port on the router. I then reset my cable modem, then released and renewed my IP and it shows in the Network Connections that it is connected, but I can't seem to get onto the internet with anything (ie Firefox/IE, AIM, MSN). So, can anyone help me out here please?

Thank You,
    Tyler

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Is it set for DHCP or do you need to specify a NAT address?

first thing is to log into the router and see how it wants the network set up.

I know with WinXP I cannot run NAT behind my linux router or I only get a comcast "register your modem" page. If I make my router dish out DHCP, everything runs fine.

3. I was scanning the manual for it and I believe it said something about being configured for NAT. Right now my connection is DHCP. Also, how can I log into my router?

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    1. Do you have to register your MAC address with your ISP?
    2. Does your PC get an inbound IP address?
    3. Can you PING the router?

5. Forgive me for being unknowledgeable in the worst amount in this subject, but I'll try and answer this as best I can.

1)What is a MAC adress and I don't think I've registered anything with my ISP as far as I know.
    2)By inbound do you mean will it renew when I have the router hooked up, then yes.
    3)I have no idea how to ping it.

6. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    #1 Call your ISP and ask them that question.
    #2 Ok. The router appears to be doing the job
    #3 Assuming you run a Windows XP/2k OS, go to start > run
    and type ipconfig | more
    The default gateway is your router IP

To ping the router IP, go to start > run
    and type ping -t 192.168.x.x(whatever the gateway address is)

If that passes, see if you can ping outside of your LAN

Ex:

PING ftp.cdrom.com
    (South Cali)

If that passes, then you have outbound internet.

Hope this helps,

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Let's see, the first thing to determine, is whether you have a "fixed" IP address from your ISP, or whether they're going to "assign" you one everytime you log in. That's part of the whole DHCP issue.

Then, you must "configure" your router, one way or the other. In most case (ie for most routers), they're "smart" about which way they're working.

And, it's critical to understand how to "log in" to your router. Most routers have "control pages", mostly they have a particular "local" IP address that you can get into from your web browser. You'll probably have to type in something like "http://172.21.10.125", something like that. Your router manual should tell you what that address is.

8. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've never been a big fan of Belkin customer service but you never know...

Call up Belkin and get step by step help from a customer service rep. It's most likely too many factors and settings to get help from us at the forum. The customer service will walk you through all the settings and how to do what as you do it.

Best of luck!

-T

9. I was able to locate the CORRECT manual for it and got it setup and it's working now. All I gotta do is pray the the wireless USB adapter for my comp upstairs works good :D

10. Wow, my head is spinning. I got the wireless USB adapter hooked up to my comp upstairs and I can't get it working. It's a linksys, FYI. I followed the instructions - Put the CD in, ran the setup, restarted, plugged the adapter in, ran the hardware installation of that and it all went in fine, but it won't connect to the router. It shows the network in the list of them, but when I select it, it says it can't connect to it.:help:

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Is there some kind of login procedure? Most of the newer-fangled wi-fi's are security conscious. You might have to set up the proper password and encryption types. Sounds good though, sounds like you're on the right track. :)

12. I got logged into the router from this computer (the one wired in) and I set it all up and made sure there were no security options on to eliminate the possiblity of not connecting due to one, but it still won't work. When I select the network that I have setup here from the list of surrounding ones (shows networks neighbors have too), it say's "Scanning..." in the status thing and I left it for like over 10 minutes and still said that.

I noticed that when I set the SSID and the Channel, it defaults on Channel 11 and WLAN for the SSID and when I click "Enter" it says "Setup Error" and reverts back to what it was defaulting as. Could this be the problem and if so how can I fix it? I ran a firmware update with the most recent firmware on the Belkin website.