1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Routing an American Standard J for a P pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaingra8, May 6, 2010.

1. Jaingra8

Jaingra8

Nov 23, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi all!

I'm looking to route an American Standard Jazz for a neck (not bridge) p-pickup. I prefer the feel of a jazz neck and body and don't want to have to swap out a J-neck onto a p-body. This way, the route will be covered up by the pick guard and you won't even tell the difference.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Primarily i have three questions:

1) How will this affect the re-sale value of the bass?
    2) Where should the placing be of the p-pickup? If it is place vertically in same place as the Jazz pickup, the route should be fairly minimal...
    3) Where would the p-pickup be placed dimensionally on an authentic P-bass, and where would this line up on the J? I want to get the tone of the p-pickup as close as possible to the P.

I appreciate everyone's input!

2. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    People do this all the time. But it will detract from the resale value.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    1. Severely.
    2. The P pickup is farther back towards the bridge than a J neck pickup. So, a totally new route would most likely be needed, with the old covered by a new pickguard.
    3. Check number 2.

4. If you kept the original guard and pickup it wont detract from the value at all you just put it back to stock and sell it , someone did this to my friend and he was mad a year later when he went to change out the pickups and realized there was a huge hole under the guard.Oh btw dont do this to anyone, bad karma. I told him so thats why you brag about it being so light

I am not sure you could place it in the correct position without it coming off the pickguard a bit.

You know the new american standards come in PJ, maybe buy one of those and swap the neck? or go with warmoth?

5. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Wondered about that once too. I think if you line up the top of the P route with the top of the J route it will be in the 'proper' P position. Will need to bump it up a bit to use a standard J pickguard to cover the whole pup. If I did this I was also going to put a Model J in the bridge to keep down the single coil hum. Here is a layover I did when contemplating it. Lined up the bridge and neck on each overlay.

Bodies.