1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rubbing Compounds

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MNbassist, Sep 9, 2008.

1. What rubbing compounds do you use to get that mirror like shine after you've finished and finish sanded (i sand with micromesh up to 12000). Also where do you find them, I'm having trouble finding different grit compounds in stores.

2. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Try an Auto repair store they will have finishing products including polishes.
    Alan

3. yea, ive gone to a few around here, they only have one kind usually. I wanted to get two or three with progressively finer grits.

4. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I use swirl remover from Stewmac. It's really good, but it's expensive. Doesn't take much, though.

5. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Try looking for 3M or Farecla products both do a full range of grits.

6. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    I use 3M Finesse It II (3M # 39003), then 3M Perfect It (3M # 39002), followed by 3M Imperial Hand Glaze (3M # 39007). I found all of these at my NAPA dealer, or any good auto paint supply store. I mostly hand rub the compounds with an old T-shirt.

7. bassmanhamilton

bassmanhamilton Commercial User

Nov 21, 2007
    Georgia
    Owner, J. Hamilton Guitars
    +1 on the 3M products. I have just recently finished a bass and after taking it to a 2000g wet sand I used a couple of 3M automotive rubbing compounds to take it to the final luster. 3M Perfect-It II and a 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, picked up both at an O'rileys parts store. This was the end result.:)
    100_2189.

8. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Nice flat finish, there... I dig! :D

Is that nitro?

9. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Meguiar's is also suitable if you see those. I use Mirror Glaze #2, 7 and 9.

10. bassmanhamilton

bassmanhamilton Commercial User

Nov 21, 2007
    Georgia
    Owner, J. Hamilton Guitars
    Yes it is McFadden's Nitro.

11. whats the difference between 3m perfect it and 3m perfect it II?